Chapter Thirty-Four: I'd Die For You

She awakens to the smell of smoke. Alert, she sits up quickly, and races down stairs. The fire alarm is blaring and she finds Wendy and Freed trying to push the smoke out the kitchen window, while a pan sits in the sink with dark black pieces if what looks like pancakes. Looking at the kitchen, it is an utter mess. Batter splatters the walls, cabinets, floor, and Freed and Wendy. She clears her throat and they turn around, nervous at the thought of the punishment they will receive.

"Mira!" They both say loudly and try to hide the smoking pan from her view.

"Haha...are you both alright?" She walks in and cautiously maneuvers around the mess. Reaching them, she slowly picks goopy batter out of Wendy's hair and then Freed's before gazing back at the mess. "I take it neither of you have cooked before."

Wendy looks up at Freed, with a sick smile on her face as she recalls the time he accompanied her on her first solo mission and how he just made it rain stinky fish from the sky.

"No, we haven't." She gulps and Mira laughs again before grabbing a mop. She starts cleaning up and the others aide her in her project.

"How exactly did this get all over?" She doesn't know if she wants a answer, but she asks it anyway. Freed rubs the back of his neck and Wendy looks else where.

"Well, Wendy tried to cook on the stove while my rune magic mixed the batter. I looked away for one minute and my ecriture stirred the batter faster than necessary causing it to explode everywhere. When Wendy turned to see what happened, the pancakes caught fire and we had to put that out before we could deal with the mess." They both look so cute standing there in the mess. Mira laughs but her laughter and happy face turns sour before she starts racing off to the bathroom. Once in there she becomes violently sick. Luckily it isn't black bile like all the other times. Wendy comes walking in and looks at Mira, worried for the older woman.

"Are you okay, Mira?"

"Yes...just morning sickness." The young fairy looks at her confused and Mira now realizes that Wendy probably doesn't know about pregnancy.

"What is that?"

"Well, um, you see when a woman is pregnant, they sometimes have morning sickness."

"Pregnant? Like a baby?" Wendy is getting excited, her body seems to jump a little bit and it makes Mira feel great. "You're having a baby!"

"Yes, I found out last night when we got home." She rinses her mouth out and Wendy just wraps her arms around Mira's torso and lays her head against her body.

"I'm so happy for you! This is awesome, Mira!"

"Are you two okay in here?" Freed leans against the doorframe and smiles sweetly at the tender moment.

"Mira's having a baby!" Her voice is full of excitement. The room seems to warm and Freed can't help but smile at the two girls. He never imagined his life would be like this. He always figured he would just be stuck in his tomb for the rest of his days. And if he did get out, his life would just be dedicated to the Thunder Legion. But now, now he has an amazing woman who is carrying his unborn child and a wonderful young girl who will depend on him. He couldn't be happier. He can't wait to meet his child.

"You're going to be a big sister." Freed says slightly quieter than expected. Wendy's eyes widen and a huge smile sweeps across her face.

"I always wanted a brother or a sister. Mira, are you nervous?" The older girl contemplates the situation and then smiles softly at Wendy.

"Not really. I've been taking care of Elfman and Lisanna since I was 9 years old. I got it down to a T on parenting." Walking out of the bathroom, Mira just stares at the kitchen mess from the living room and sighs. "Even this mess has nothing on Elfman's mud pie raid. Haha, I guess we should finish cleaning up and have breakfast at the guild today. That woman will be expecting us there with our paper work."