Chapter Thirty-Seven: Grievence and Moving On

Three days of staying home had brought healing to Freed and Mira. They didn't want a big throng of people giving their condolences or crying for them. All they wanted was solitude and each other. When Wendy had come home and they told her about the baby, her world turned around. The happy girl seemed lost in painful thoughts and questions. She wanted to know why the Celestial King would call a unborn baby home. It didn't make sense.

It's one of the biggest losses she had experienced in a long time. She couldn't imagine how Mira felt in the initial moment.

Standing in the kitchen, Wendy just finishes up making scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. It keeps her mind busy, making breakfast. The more she cooks, the less time her mind has to dwell on Tenshi. These last three days she has perfected the foods she was having the most trouble with. Like Chicken Tempura, homemade lasagna, grilled cheese sandwiches, and different soups. She figured if she made them the best she can without help, then maybe Mira and Freed would feel a little better, because food is comfort. She also asked people at the guild to not comment on the tragedy, so not to remind Mira.

Finishing up breakfast today, Wendy sets the table and puts the food on the plates, pours coffee and orange juice and then heads upstairs to invite Mira and Freed to breakfast. Hesitating at the door, she tugs her dress down, fixes her hair, and tries to look not so excited about her great meal. If she seems happy, they may take it the wrong way. And she doesn't want that at all.

"May I come in?" She knocks on the door and asks quietly. She doesn't hear anything, so she opens it up and finds they're still asleep in bed. Trying to shut the door without making a sound, it creaks at the last moment and Mira sits up a bit. She looks drained and her face puffy from crying so much. But a slight smile comes to her lips at the sight of the blue haired girl standing frozen in her spit at the door. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up."

"It's okay. Something smells awfully delicious down there." Her smile warms the girl up. Its the first one in three days. It's kinda of special.

"I made everyone breakfast...if you're hungry." Mira hadn't really eaten anything either, which is not only concerning, but slightly irritating because Wendy takes so much of her own time preparing a meal that she eventually gives to a homeless guy on the corner.

"I think I could go for something. I'll be down in a minute." Meekly smiling, Wendy leaves the room and heads back down stairs. She picked flowers earlier that morning and sets them out in a vase on the table. She wants everything to be perfect for Mira. She wants her to smile and be happy for a day at least. After a few minutes, Mirajane walks down the stairs followed by Freed, who still seems half asleep. When Mira catches sight of the beautiful breakfast, she clutches her chest and smiles warmly. Going to Wendy, she hugs her tightly and kisses her forehead. "Oh, this looks so good! You did this all by yourself?"

"Yes Ma'am. I hope you like it." Her breakfast makes a happy face at her and Mira can't help but laugh at how cute it is. Freed chuckles as well because the ketchup that is used to make the eyes on the egg drifted to give it a lazy eye.

"This is so cute. Thank you sweetie." Mira says once more and she sits at the table facing the hallway, while Freed sits across from her and Wendy sits at the head of the table. They eat quietly and to Wendy, it seems like maybe today will be a good day. "Outstanding. You know, I could convince Makarov to let you be the chef at the guild for certain days. I know he was contemplating hiring someone before. It could get you extra practice and extra money."

"That would be lots of fun. I don't know what I would make, but it sounds like a task I'd be up for. When I'm not going on jobs with Team Natsu that is." Her smile is endearing and Freed's becomes wider.