Chapter Thirty-One: Flip/Flop

He didn't sleep a wink last night. It was evident from his stiff position on the back porch. Shoulders hunched over, face fixed in a mute posture- as Mira watches him from the bed, she knows she over did it last night. Enough so that it has kept Freed up. Sliding out of bed, she curses herself for getting so plastered last night. Her head pounds, she has acid reflux, and a twisting in her stomach that may or may not be from drinking or her excess magic. Finding the strength and courage she needs, she goes to the porch and just stands behind him.

"Freed? Are you okay?" Her hoarse voice stings his ears that he seems to wince visibly. Going beside him, she kneels, tucking her feet underneath her bum as her bare legs feel the lacquered wood beneath her. "I'm sorry about last night, I shouldn't have done that."

"Which part? Throw a ring at my forehead and leave, or get some guys number while drinking too much?" He never looks at her, but she's thankful for that. She feels his stare would set her aflame.

"Both. But you really hurt my feelings, Freed. You laughed at me when I  entrusted you with something so important and dear to me." They both are right in their situations, but Mira thinks her behavior was less erratic and hurtful. "You said you would do anything for me- I asked you, expecting you to at least consider it, to help me make a baby. And you burst out laughing so rudely. It was mean."

"You're right. I was rude and quite mean to you last night. But you threw an engagement ring at my forehead and stormed off like a child. Hurt feelings or not- that ring is a symbol or what hopefully will one day be a unity. That hurt my feelings, Mirajane. And then you come home with some man's number in your pocket? I can't tell you how angry and upset I am with you. Because it might lead to something awful that I won't be able to control." Gritting his teeth, he simply looks at the hot spring steaming away in the morning light and can feel his own blood steaming.

"I won't flatter you with thoughts of adultery because there are none. A man gave me his number because he's a therapist and apparently thought I needed some kind of professional help. Which may be so at this point- seeing how I keep fucking up what was supposed to be a relaxing and romantic weekend for us." Getting up, she heads towards the door to go inside, when Freed grabs her ankle, nearly tripping her.

"You always do that."

"Do what?" She steams a bit. Freed let's go of her ankle and stands up.

"Always walk away during an argument. It pisses me off." He snorts and Mira just crosses her arms.

"Because I don't want to argue, Freed." Shaking his head, he can't help but get more angered.

"But you always start the arguments." His clarification makes Mira boil in her skin.

"I certainly do not! And if I'm so argumentative, why do you love me in the first place. If I cause nothing but grief for you- why would you willingly be with me?" She shouts and the atmosphere of the spa is ruined by them. He steps closer and Mira can see that crazy look in his eyes. Taking a few steps away from him, he follows her back through the door, eyes mad, a scowl in his face, and fists clenched. "Why don't you just go back to Jenny and save yourself the irritation."

She's poking the bear. On purpose. If they're gonna fight, she wants a bloody battle.

"You need to shut up." That was rude and they both know how mad it makes her. She picks up her small purse and throws it at him, hitting him in the chest. "Mira!"

He growls deeply in his throat and all Mira can do to save herself is turn and run. He starts chasing her through the spa house and out into the yard. At first it was mostly out of anger, but as soon as she turns to see where he is, he teleports in front of her, blocking her path.