Chapter Thirty-Five: The Soulmate Theory

Rumors scattered the Guild Hall quickly after the massive defeat. Questions arise, but without confirmation, their answers as to how Freed had single handedly killed four people, grew into massive incoherent ideas that were utterly unrealistic. How had he died only to heroically come back to kill Falsus and Otaka? Was it dark magic that was forbidden? Is he actually still dead?

As he lay in bed wincing in huge amounts of pain, Wendy heals him with every fiber of magic she has. It's draining her, he can see that, but she's stubborn as Hell and won't stop until he's better.

"Wendy, please. You've used nearly all your magic up for the day. Rest." Slowly dropping her hands a bit, Wendy feels their heaviness, but when she looks at all the wounds on his body, she goes back to healing him. Reaching outward, he takes her left hand in his, stopping her magic flow. "Wendy, I'm fine. Please."

"You almost died...because of me...I need to heal you."

"You have. You being here, safe, that's healing enough. Now, please, go rest. You've done well, kid." He kisses her left hand and releases her. As she leaves him, Laxus and Makarov along with First Master Mavis comes in. "Laxus!"

"Hey, Man. What you did out there today, was badass. I knew you had it in you." Laxus smirks and then adds a quick jab. "But I also know that the show, was just that, a show."

"What are you talking about? Can you not see he's massively injured!" Makarov berates Laxus and Freed- Mavis, and Laxus all laugh. Makarov wilts finding he was left out of the loop. "What are you laughing at? Tell me or I will..."

"Cool Gramps, Freed is actually hurt, but nit as ten fold as the dummy." Laxus adds and Makarov's face twists.

"Speaking of which, how did you pull that switch off?"

"Well Master, it wasn't easy by any mean, but do you remember that weird chubby guy from Tenrou Island who did that Voodoo doll magic?"  Freed starts to explain and Master Makarov is half impressed and half disappointed. "Well First Master has the doll and we set up direct link to it. I learned a few spells back in the day, that last ecriture movement I had done on Falsus, I knew it wasn't going to hurt him, I expected it not too. All I did was transfer the dummy doll into my form, so whatever I did, the doll did. Whatever I said, the doll said. I did get most of the pain, and I very well almost died, but I took the risk, without taking the risk if that makes sense to you. Laxus helped with the storm effects and Mavis helped with keeping the dummy in my movements so the surprise wouldn't be ruined while I waited up top to pounce."

"Uhh...ehhh... Well I guess that plan was well thought out."

"Thanks to Mavis it was. We met in the night last night, I headed your warnings, and planned accordingly." Mavis and Freed seem happy with themselves, but Freed's body still aches deep to the bones. "What we weren't planning on was Mirajane getting caught up in the middle of it all, that I had to adjust the plan for."

"Well, it all worked out in the end, I guess." It doesn't surprise him in the least that Freed chose brain over brawn. He's always been that way, however a few of the moves he performed were never seen before and their power output were close to Natsu level, as hard to believe as that is. "In brushing up on your magic, a few of those spells are unknown to me. How did you come by them?"

"In all honestly, I had been composing them for years. Runes are manipulative, mere imagination can make a different rune. Its how wizards like me change up their attacks so that no one sees them coming. It's kind of like Rufus from Sabertooth, and his memory make magic. He can imagine horrifying things in his head and makes a memory of it, which in turn makes it an actual spell. Me, if I change a few of my runes around for Malice and Wax Take, and combined them, you can get a result like Icarus. Now pulling off Movement 6- the initial ecricture to move my presence from my own body to a dummy, took quite some time to master. For years, I had been working to complete that rune set and make it near impossible to detect."