✭ chapter 2

claire's pov

"sorry what was that?" i said with a slightly rude expression.

" teen leadership is a semester class that focuses on social skills, leadership skills, and eliminates stereotypes by engaging students in different group activities and projects," she says with a fake smile.

i nod slowly trying to understand and take it all in, "so you're telling me this is a class where we just.. make friends..?"

mrs. anderson smiles wide and nods her head rapidly, "exactly! i'm so glad you get to join this class since you're a new student here. i'm sure you'll make some great friends."

"i'm sure you're right," i said lying, putting on the happiest face i could possibly muster.

~

i push open the door to leave the counselors office and slowly walk down the long hallway in front of me. everyone's already in class so the entire hallway is empty, leaving me to find my first period by myself. i look at my new schedule so i can see what my first period is.

teen leadership.
room 7010.

are you kidding me right now? out of all classes i could start the day with it has to be this bullshit? i roll my eyes dramatically and groan as i try and walk as slowly as possible so i can miss the majority of the period.

i continue to walk down the hall and look at the signs on the brick wall telling me what section of the school i'm in. i'm by the 6000's hallways, which means the 7000's hallways should be coming up. i go a little bit further down the hallway and all of the sudden, I see it.

room 7010.

i glare at the classroom dreading having to go sit in there for a whole 45 minutes. that's not even the worst part, the worst part is that i have to sit next to strangers and "make friends".

i take a deep breath, grasp onto the door handle, and push the door open. i look around the classroom to see a bunch of kids staring at me and whispering. i look at the teacher but then quickly back to the students as i realize they're sitting on...couches? what kind of fucking class is this?

the lights are dimmed leaving the room to feel very relaxing and everyone looking fairly comfortable laying or sitting on a couch.

the teacher sees me at the door and he immediately rushes towards me.

"hi, i'm mr. kemp! you must be our new student?" he says with an inviting smile. he puts out his hand offering a hand shake and i shake it with absolutely no energy.

"yeah, i am." i say with a little bit of attitude laced in my tone. i walk past him and right as i'm about to look for an open spot on the couch i hear a deep voice, "you never said your name, new girl."

i turn around a little shocked to look at whoever said that. once my eyes locked in with his all of my previous thoughts seemed to disappear and my mind filled up with new curious ones.

who is he?

his eyes were a true hazel green staring right through me with a sly smirk on his face, knowing the effect he was having on me. i look down breaking the eye contact and try to gather myself together. i don't know why he's making me so nervous.

"the name's claire, claire evans," i say looking back at him. he smirks and leans back on the couch, crossing his arms over his chest, "good to know."

damn, he's hot. he looks like the typical fuck boy, he was wearing adidas track pants and a white tee shirt with some white adidas shoes.

he shifted his gaze over into my direction once again and i notice him clench his jaw which made the vein in his neck pop out the slightest bit.

his brown hair was swooshed to the side in a perfectly neat mess. his muscles were showing through his thin white tee shirt and he smirked as he noticed me continuing to stare. i purse my lips together, admiring the sight in front of me.

i look at the spot next to him and notice it's the only empty spot in the room. i walk towards him and put my stuff down and i can feel his eyes on me. once i'm settled i look at him, "and yours is?"

he looks slightly confused, "your name," i say with a small giggle. he finally realizes what i'm asking and laughs with me, "ethan," he stares at me as we're both sitting there studying each other contently

"ethan dolan."

"good to know."

he smirks at my familiar choice of words and shakes his head, rolling his eyes and looking away.

i then notice mr. kemp walking to the front of the classroom, "okay class, we're going to be doing a team building activity. you're going to have 5 minutes to talk to the person next to you about as much as you can. what sports you play, what grade you're in, your hobbies, random stuff like that. i know most of us are familiar with each other but for the sake of our new student, let's all participate. everyone got it?"

we all nod our heads in agreement as i see eyes dart to look over at me. "okay then, time starts now," he walks back to his desk as ethan shifts his body towards me. "so, tell me about yourself." he says adding a wink at the end.

i roll my eyes, "i didn't choose to be in this class first of all, so let's just finish this as quickly as possible."

"you don't have to be rude to me because you didn't get what you want, princess." ethan said with a deadly look in his eye.

i gulp at the nickname and stutter out, "d-don't call me that."

he doesn't reply, instead just sits there with a devilish smirk on his face with his arms crossed. he knows what he's doing is getting to me and it's obvious he finds it thoroughly entertaining.

i pause, clearing my throat and look down thinking of what to say next.

"so what grade are you in?" i say trying to steer away from the weird tension between us.

"a senior, i'm 18," he says casually, "and you?"

my eyes widened and i try to think of what to tell him. i absolutely cannot tell him I'm a freshman, everyone hates freshman.

"oh i'm a junior, 17 about to be 18 in a couple of months," i lie as best as i could, and at that very moment i knew i was screwed. i'm only 15 years old.

"cool, anyways, do you play a sport or anything?"

i smile, "yeah actually, i do. i wanna try out for the cheerleading team here. i've been doing cheer since i was 10 and i actually already made a friend who's on the team."

i study ethan's reaction and see him scanning my body up and down with a smirk appearing across his lips, "can't wait till you're cheering for me on the football field in that uniform," he says in a low voice.

of fucking course he's on the football team, what did i expect?

i shoot him a glare, "and i can't wait till the day you can actually look me in the eye like a normal person instead of checking me out twenty-four seven."

he rolls his eyes, starting to laugh and rustling his hand through his hair with a light shade of red plastered on his cheeks. i begin to laugh with him.

we pause our laughter, gazing into each others eyes, and i swear time stopped. everything and everyone was so still and every sound in the room was muffled by my thoughts.

everything stopped.

the small moment was interrupted as he looked away and cleared his throat, "if you don't mind me asking, why did you move here?"

"i-"

"time's up! no more questions!" says mr. kemp as the timer on his phone goes off.

i got lucky this time, but there's no way in hell i'm telling anyone why i moved here, especially not ethan.

(a/n: pls vote i need help desperately)