✭ chapter 5

claire's pov

today i woke up with much less anxiety taking over my brain. i had gotten my first day over with and i was ready for the next, surprisingly enough. i grabbed my phone and saw that i had a text from liz.

liz: gm don't forget ur cheer clothes!!🤩

if she wouldn't have texted me i know for sure i would've forgotten. i smile and text back.

claire: ahh thanks for reminding me! putting them in my bag rn

i force myself to get out of bed and i grab a black pair of nike pro spandex, a thin nike muscle tank, and my dirty white cheer shoes.

today i felt different, back in oklahoma i dreaded going to school. school was the worst thing i had to do in my life, but here, i kinda like it.

i turned on my speaker and started playing billie eilish to get ready to. i picked out a comfy outfit for today, considering i wore a cute one yesterday. i threw on my magenta lululemon leggings, a white t-shirt, and some white ultra boosts.

i straightened my hair and did natural makeup. no foundation, eyeliner, or anything heavy. i looked into the mirror and was pleased with my appearance. i feel confident. i smile and exhale, ready for my second day.

i'm singing and dancing around my room like an idiot listening to my playlist until i glance at my phone and start to mentally freak out, "fucking shit i gotta go."

this kind of situation seems to happen more often than not for me which is very unfortunate. i grabbed my bag and ran downstairs, not even caring how loud i was being. i knew that my mom and brother were asleep, but i couldn't give a single fuck.

i sprinted to the bus stop and panted out of breath as i finally made it. i swear to God if i had missed the bus on the second damn day i would've died.

i collapsed on the bench and my attention turned to someone laughing; more like wheezing. it was liz.

"running late much?" she says almost completely out of breath and dying of laughter.

i flip her off and laugh, "fuck you i lost track of time."

she shakes her head, "come on lazy ass, the bus is here,"we laugh together as she struggles to pull me up off of the bench.

we make our way into the bus and sit in the same seat as yesterday, the seat in the very back to be exact.

"so... are you ready for cheer today!?" she says practically screaming. to scream on the bus at 7 in the morning with a bunch of raging hormonal teens isn't the brightest idea.

i see a couple of heads turn and look at us with looks of disgust.

"liz," i whisper yell, "shut the fuck up!" she puts her hand over her mouth and lets out a giggle.

"sorry i'm just excited!"

we laughed quietly together and she wiggles her eyebrows, "so.. anything new?"

i pause to think. well actually, there is something new.

"yeah something kinda weird happened last night," i pause, "or maybe it's not weird and i'm just overthinking it," i say with a blank look on my face.

i see her eyes go wide, "spill. now."

i let out a giggle and look down to my hands in my lap, "ethan dolan followed me on insta."

i see liz's entire body jolt of energy and she nearly screams but then quickly realizes she shouldn't. she looks at me with her jaw dropped and her eyebrows raised and i laugh at her reaction.