✭ chapter 16

claire's pov

i can feel ethan's eyes burning into me from behind as i'm stretching. i bend over and touch my toes with ease and then reach over to one side and put my nose to my knee.

i look over to my right and i see serena not too far away from me stretching.

shit.

my heart starts to speed up as i can feel my nerves rising. why do i let her make me feel like that? i should be able to look over at her and not care.

today isn't the only day of tryouts, though. the second tryout day is tomorrow. i'm guessing that today we learn the cheer routine and then we perform it in groups tomorrow. results are supposed to be posted on friday which means i have to wait the rest of the week to find out.

the main cheer coach, coach kelly starts to talk," okay girls! we're going to start learning the routine. spread out around the room, and absolutely no talking whatsoever."

i stay in my spot which is in the back and make sure i'm not too close to anyone.

coach kelly tells us that we're gonna be put into small groups of four. she starts working on putting people in groups together at the front and then makes her way to the back. she points at me, "number 84 join numbers 85, 86 and 87."

i look to the girls who i'm supposed to be with and i see serena. she's number 87. i walk over to her and pretend like i don't know her. she seems to do the same to me.

coach kelly lays out the cheer mat and we all start learning the routine in our groups. i'm pretty tall so i'm a base, and serena is the smallest. serena's the flyer, obviously, so i have to throw that bitch up in the air while she flips.

we start learning the routine and it's surprisingly pretty easy. the song we're doing the routine to is womanizer by britney spears.

the hardest part of the routine is the small tumbling portion. we have to do a round off back handspring and then do a layout. i've been tumbling for a while so i don't have very much difficulty with it. i do my round off back handspring and i see serena looking at me in the corner of my eye.

i look over at her once i finish and she rolls her eyes.

"hey, serena? instead of watching me maybe you should practice too. it would be a shame if you didn't make the team again, wouldn't it?" i laugh and go to do my layout. i turn around and see serena's jaw dropped and she looks shocked. i know she can't believe i had the guts to say that to her. in all honesty, i can't believe i had the guts to say that to her either.

i do my layout and turn to look at ethan sitting on the bleachers. he's already looking over at me so i know he saw what just happened. he raises his eyebrow at me looking surprised, impressed almost.

i feel a smile creep up onto my face as i look down. i'm not sure where me and ethan stand now. i still have feelings but i don't know if he still has any for me. maybe he just wants to be on good terms and that's all, i don't know.

we continue on learning the routine and it's very sassy. the routine we're doing is mostly dance and then we have a tumbling portion of the song and then two eight counts to do any jumps we want and then pyramids.

after the song ends they teach us a cheer with no music, just our voices that we use with poms that the cheerleaders do at all of the football games and pep rally's.

the dance portion of the routine has a lot of hip movements and a lot of sexy moves. i look around the gym and it looks like a bunch of twigs trying to be strippers. there's one part where we drop down and then come back up to shake our asses.