✭ chapter 55

song for chapter: way down we go by KALEO + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

i walk through the double doors of the school library to be met with a much peaceful environment than the hectic energy in the hallway.

i pass the computers and go to my usual working spot in the very back. i sit down on one of the comfortable lounging chairs and prop my feet up to rest on one of the small ottomans in front of me.

since i don't have lunch with any of my four friends, i decided a few weeks ago to start going to a more quiet and comforting place to be by myself.

i don't eat lunch at school because i have the earliest lunch out of the three scheduled ones, mine starting at 10:30. i can't stomach a whole lunch meal at a time that i'd usually still be asleep at.

food isn't allowed in the library anyways so it actually works out just fine for me to come in here during lunch since i don't pack anything. i just spend the thirty minutes of my only free time throughout the school day to work on any assignments for my classes.

i remember to myself that today i need to renew the book that i'm reading for english, romeo and juliet. i quickly reach for the novel in my bag to get that settled to avoid receiving a small amounted fine for the book.

i don't bother to bring my backpack with me since the librarian's desk isn't too far away and i stand up with the book in hand.

i walk halfway across the library to reach the checkout center and i keep noticing the same posters plastered on almost every bookshelf.

i slow down my pace to get a good and clear look at the poster and see what it's message was.

attention all seniors: prom pictures/videos must be turned in by this friday to westwayprom2020@gmail.com to be included in the slideshow!

i remember to myself that this was the news liz had informed the cheer team about a week ago.

i don't pay much attention to it since it's not important to me, due to the fact that i'm not even a senior.

if anything though, liz will be the one to put pictures of her and carter since she thinks she's so cool to be going to prom as a freshman. not to mention, the girl's on student council which is the whole organization behind all of this.

i peel my eyes away from the poster and smile at the middle aged librarian once making eye contact with her.

"hi sweetie, what can i help you with?" she says in a kind and gentle voice.

i put the book on the counter, "i need to renew this book," i say as she takes a hold of it.

"sure can do," she says with a smile before turning to look at the computer that was next to her, lifting her chin and squinting her eyes to see a little better through her small circular glasses.

"what's your name?" she says as she looks back to me while her hands patiently wait by the keyboard.

before i can answer her, i'm interrupted by someone walking inside the library. it catches my attention since usually i'm the only one in here at this time, so i turn to look at who it is.

my jaw nearly drops all the way down to the floor once seeing the mystery person to be no other than alex himself.

we make instant eye contact and my eyes widen out of fear as he gives me a small wave. i get a bad feeling inside of me from his presence and i turn around to face the librarian who was waving back at him.

wait, was he not waving to me?

i furrow my eyebrows in confusion and turn my head to look back at him still waving, "hey mrs. brown," alex says to the kind librarian behind the desk.