✭ chapter 15

claire's pov

today is monday, which equals cheer tryout day. the day i've been waiting for, yet dreading as well.

i want to make the team so bad.

every night before i go to sleep i stretch for thirty minutes to help with my flexibility, even though i'm already naturally flexible. i've been going to the gym too, and also trying to eat much healthier.

i want to be skinny, and here at westway senior high, all of the cheerleaders are skinny. i wouldn't say i'm fat, but i'm not 100 pounds.

trying out for this team means the world to me and i will do whatever i need to do to make it.

the other side of me isn't too excited. yeah, cheer still means a lot to me but liz, serena, kimberly, and chelsea are making me not want to try out. of course, i still will, but they've ruined some of my excitement. no matter what though, i won't let them stop me from doing what i want to do.

i look at my phone and it's 5:45 and the bus comes at 6:40, leaving me a good hour to get ready.

i decide to dress cute and i pick out some ripped jeans with a cute sweater.

i straighten my hair and do just a bit of makeup. i need to look good for today.

i go to my dresser and take out a pair of black nike pros and a mint colored tank with a sports bra. i throw the cheer clothes in my bag and i throw in my cheer shoes as well.

i walk downstairs and make my daily cup of coffee but i notice something. i look down at the counter and there's a note.

claire, i'm taking liam to the doctors today after work. we should be home later on tonight. i love you.
     - mom

i sigh and look up, thinking about my brother and my mom. if i'm being honest, i haven't talked to them in a while. i've just been too caught up in my own problems to get involved with theirs. i feel the guilt start to wash over me and i shrug, maybe it's better this way.

i grab my coffee from off of the counter and sling my heavy backpack behind my shoulder.

i exhale causing my shoulders to drop while walking out the front door, lost in my thoughts.

~

ethan's pov

"fuck, i gotta go," i groan. i look at the girls face and she looks confused. i don't even remember her name. the bathroom is quiet and all you can hear are her heavy breaths.

she rolls her eyes, "you can't just skip class? you do it all the time."

i shake my head and i open up the stall door, "no. i'm leaving."

she mutters under her breath, "dickhead."

i feel my anger start to rise and i turn around and pierce my intimidating eyes into hers, "oh, shut the hell up. you're just mad because you didn't get what you want," my hands ball up into fists as i see her eyes fill with fear, "i'm going to class."

i look at her see that she looks shocked with a shade of red plastered across her face. i scoff and walk out of the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

i walk in the hallway and see a poster about cheer tryouts today after school.

i'm supposed to be in teen leadership right now. i'm ten minutes late, so, not too bad. i sigh thinking about claire. as mad as i am at her for her lying to me, i can't help not wanting to be around her.