✭ chapter 54

song for chapter: love is a bitch by two feet + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

i open my window to see ethan's face lighten up a little from seeing my own, him now dropping the small rocks he was holding in his hands.

i break the seriousness by not being able to contain my laughter, "really? rocks?" i shake my head, "were you trying to break my window or what?"

he looks away and ruffles a hand through his hair as his face gets red, "are you gonna let me in or not?"

with that i close the window and seal it shut. i exit out of my room and go downstairs, grateful that ethan came over when he did since i'm home alone.

i walk to the front door, grabbing the handle and pulling it open to see ethan standing right in front of me.

"you know you could've just knocked on the door, right?" i say while stepping aside for him to walk in.

"i didn't think you were home alone," he says with a shrug as i shut the front door.

i don't say anything in return and i walk back upstairs with him to go to my room.

the tension between us was prominent in the air and i grow to feel uneasy about how this situation could potentially end out.

once entering my bedroom, he stands still in the center of the room awkwardly and watches me shut the door close.

my eyes peer over to him watching me with no type of visible expression, nothing but a plain face. i go to sit back down on my bed in the same spot i was before his unexpected arrival.

"so?" i say while making a hand gesture at him, "are you gonna tell me why you up and left your house to come and throw rocks at my fucking window?"

he rolls his eyes with attitude, "stop being so difficult, claire."

i raise my voice frustratedly, "i'm not being difficult!" i sigh and slouch in my seated position, continuing on in a much calmer tone, "you just scared the shit out of me."

his jaw was clenched and he looks down to avoid eye contact with me. it stays like this for a few seconds, me looking away from him as well.

before the awkward silence can continue for any longer, he walks over to my bed to approach me. i lift my chin up to see his tall, fit figure to be hovering over me.

i gulp in intimidation, waiting for him to say something. he stays like that for only a brief moment as he takes a good look at all of my facial features with his eyes.

"i'm sorry for worrying you," he says in a soft voice that looked as if it wasn't meant to leave his large, intimidating body, "but i came here to make sure you're okay."

"make sure i'm okay?" i question him, not understanding.

he nods casually, "you weren't acting like yourself today at school. i knew if i texted you asking to come over or even ask to pick you up that you'd say no."

i rub my lips together as i think about his words. i mean, he is right. i would've told him no if he had asked.

"well, you could've at least told grayson you were leaving," i say, still looking up at him.