✭ chapter 44

song for chapter: die young by sylvan esso + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

"what did you think?" i say as soon as i close the front door which ethan had just walked out of.

she brings her elbow to rest on the arm of the couch and shifts her body sideways to look at me, "honestly, i thought he was chill as fuck."

i smile from her words, "for real?"

she nods and grabs the tv remote to power it off, "yeah, i am. seriously, i think he's good for you. you know that i'm picky about this kind of shit but he's someone i actually wouldn't mind hanging out with again."

i sigh heavily, feeling relieved, and feel my shoulders drop from my sudden exhale, "that makes me feel better."

she laughs slightly, "what, did you think i wouldn't like him or something?"

i shrug a little, "eh, i don't know. i just didn't want my best friend to not like my boyfriend," i explain to her, "it's awkward for everyone, you know?"

she nods, understanding where i'm coming from. i lock the front door and walk back over to the couch to sit down on the original spot i was sitting at.

she shifts her body once again to remain looking at me. i sit comfortably on the couch and look down at the cushiony material we had been sitting on.

i swallow, "so i've been meaning to ask you," i take in a sharp breath, "have you decided what you're gonna do about your living situation?"

jade looks away from me and taps her fingers on the arm of the couch a bit anxiously, "have you even talked to your mom about it?" she says, avoiding the question.

i nod, "actually, yes. i haven't really talked to her much since that small fight that happened at dinner, but i actually texted her during school yesterday. she said she had no problem with it and that she's fine with whatever choice is best for you."

i look up at jade after i finish talking and wait for her response. she sits there quietly, still tapping her finger anxiously in a rhythmic pattern.

"i don't want to be too much for you guys. i feel like i'm such a burden," she says quietly, looking embarrassed almost.

i shake my head, "no jade, you're not. i promise you. we want to help you," i say as she turns only her head to look at me, seeing me
giving her a small warm smile.

her big brown eyes soften, "thank you, i love you," she pauses and hesitates a bit, "and i do want to stay."

i pull her in for a hug and hold her closely to my body, "i love you too. i'm here for you, okay? never feel like you're a burden."

she pulls away after a few seconds and i see the small smile on her face, "well, i guess i should text my aunt and let her know."

i nod, "this is what's best for you, and once you tell your aunt she'll probably agree. you're always safe here."

she grabs her phone that was sitting beside her and exhales, "i know. thank you for everything, seriously."

i shake my head to imply that it's no big deal, "you know there's nothing i wouldn't do for you."

she smiles at me with a face full of gratitude and appreciation, and i lay my back down onto the couch comfortably once she starts to type on her phone.

~

ethan's pov

-friday, game day-