✭ chapter 46

song for chapter: perfect places by lorde + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

"fuck!" i laugh while taking out the small beer pong ball that had landed perfectly in one of jade and i's red solo cups.

"it's your turn, drink up," jade says while nudging me with her elbow.

i nod and hand her the ball while placing the rim of the plastic cup up to my lips. i chug the cup full of beer and crinkle it up once i'm finished, throwing it into the trash can that stood only a few feet away from from the table.

before me and the girls arrival, ethan and grayson had set up the beer pong table outside on the patio area that was right next to the pool. jade, grayson, jack, and i decided to split up into groups of two and play girls against boys.

the rest of the girls decided to start off the night with some shots inside the kitchen and they didn't seem to care when grayson and jack pulled us away.

i've never talked much to jack even though he's ethan and grayson's best friend, cameron as well. jack had just been hanging out with grayson when he had approached jade and i, asking us both to play beer pong.

jack seemed like a funny guy, their friend group was always mssing around with each other and it was fun to be around them.

jack seemed like he was closer with grayson and cameron seemed like he was closer with ethan. considering i just now arrived to the party about an hour after it had started, i still haven't seen ethan yet.

the first person who came up to me upon arrival was grayson. before i could even take a step forward and into the party, he coersed jade and i into a game of beer pong against him and jack.

he used their win tonight at the football game in order to get us to play and we agreed nonetheless.

jack and grayson were already a bit tipsy when we first got here, but the beer didn't seem to do much else to them since they were beating our ass at this common drinking game.

"grayson, i had been meaning to ask you," jade says before taking her shot, "are you okay after what happened tonight?"

i look over at grayson as well, "yeah, i meant to ask too. it just kind of slipped my mind," i say as he nods, him knowing he barely even gave us the time to ask from his sudden begging for our participation in the drinking game, "but seriously though, are you good?"

he nods, "oh yeah, i'm fine. i just sprained my ankle, but the problem is we don't know how severe it is yet. hopefully it'll only cost me to sit out the next game and that's it," he says while looking at both jade and i.

afterwards, he narrows his eyes at jade and gives her a tipsy smirk, "you were worried about me, weren't you?"

jack almost lets out a snort, entertained by the conversation. jade gulps and her eyes dart around to everything else but grayson, "n-no, not at all, i just-"

"aww, how sweet," grayson says as he cuts her off and crosses his arms over his chest in satisfaction.

jade's cheeks heat up out of embarassment and jack claps his hands together and laughs, hollering obnoxiously loud.

i giggle at jack, him seeming to be noticeably drunk by now. jade shakes her head in silence and tries her best to cover up the grin on her face.

she takes her shot and it plops into the red solo cup with a splash, her aim being perfect.

"yes!" she says to herself and i give her a high five. grayson raises an eyebrow at her looking impressed and begins to chug the beer with ease, "oh, just wait," he says after finishing the liquid and crumbling up the cup to throw it away.