✭ chapter 48

song for chapter: softly by clairo + play on repeat!!

ethan's pov

i walk into the workout room which was located upstairs, expecting for me to find grayson in there due to the loud echoing music that was playing throughout the empty house.

both of our parents were out of town for work related trips. they're supposed to return sometime tomorrow and be here for a decent majority of the week.

it's been a while since both grayson and i have seen them, so it's a good thing they're coming back soon.

i don't even bother to knock on the door, instead i just push it open to reveal a shirtless grayson who was lifting weights. he was drenched in sweat and was so concentrated that he didn't even realize i had walked in.

i walk over to the speaker that was playing music and i turn it off completely, causing him to set down the weights and sit up to look at me a bit angrily, "hey, what the fuck?"

"you might wanna shower and get ready," i say to him, him giving me a sour face in return from not knowing what i was talking about.

"why?" he said, seeming to be irritated with the fact that i interrupted his work out session.

"claire and jade are coming over," i say and make sure to pay extra close attention to his face in hopes to see his reaction.

he blinks, looking a bit taken back from not expecting the following words to leave my mouth, "jade?"

i chuckle and nod, leaning back against the wall, "uh huh. the both of them want us four to all hang out together today," i smirk at my brother, "probably jade's idea."

he stands up now, grabbing a rag to wipe the sweat from off of his face, "yeah, no," he rubs the cloth along his forehead and narrows his eyes at me, "jade and i aren't like that."

i tilt my head to the side and roll my eyes, "bullshit."

grayson grabs the water bottle that was sitting on the floor and he takes a gulp before laying the rag alongside his shoulder, "she's just my friend, ethan."

i cross my arms, not buying it, "gray, you and i both know that you've been acting different lately. are you really gonna sit here and pretend that none of this has to do with jade?" i pause and sigh, "just admit you have feelings for her."

"it doesn't matter. she's not interested in me like that," he says in a low tone, seeming a bit upset to say it out loud.

i nearly laugh in his face, "are you kidding? she can't even hear your name without blushing like crazy."

his head shoots up to me with his mouth slightly agape, "what?" his eyes squint at me, "how would you know that?"

i give him a look as if the answer should be obvious, "because i'm dating her best friend, dipshit. do you really think that your name doesn't come up whenever i hang out with the both of them?"

grayson bites back a smile, not wanting to make it appear like this news just changed his whole mood, "i just, i didn't-"

"mhm," i say as i walk towards the door to exit the room, "so, go get ready. they should be here in about an hour or so."

grayson nods as i walk out and i don't bother to shut the door behind me, knowing he'll be out of there soon.

i pull out my phone and text claire, telling her to text me whenever her and jade are on the way.

~

claire's pov

"come on lily, let's go!" i shout from downstairs, all of us waiting on lily to finish up getting ready so she can take us home.