✭ chapter 62

song for chapter: cinnamon by jome + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

"he- he left?" i say, not believing grayson's words.

i could feel so many people staring at me from all directions, surprised that i came back, and i try my best to pay them no mind.

he nods with his jaw clenched, "you missed the second part of the show."

i look at jack and cameron with clueless, innocent looking eyes, not understanding why even grayson seems to be mad at me.

cameron and jack only give me the same cold look that grayson does, and i feel a pang in my chest that goes directly to my heart from them looking at me as if they resented me.

"can someone just explain to me what the hell happened when i was gone?" i ask, sounding a bit fed up, but my eyes were begging them softly at the same time.

"we all got a little sneak peak on you and alex's conversation at the football game," he says, sounding disappointed, "and ethan heard the truth. well– i mean, i guess we all did, right?"

my eyebrows knit together in confusion as my brain begins to overload with questions, my lips parting from one another as my jaw slowly drops.

i know the exact conversation he's talking about, and god does it make me seem like the shittiest fucking person.

instant guilt begins to fill my insides even though none of it was even true, but the fact that it hurt ethan so much hurts me.

i don't understand, though– who could've been recording that conversation?

it only takes me a few seconds to put all of the scattered puzzle pieces together.

serena.

she was at that game because that was the game where she had came up to jade, skylar, lily, and i and tried her best to get under our skin.

that's why she's here with alex, to finish out the plan that they started weeks ago.

but how could any of them have found out i was coming to prom?

well, actually, there could of been many ways for them to find out. for all i know, they could've been spying on me, or maybe they just guessed that i'd be here because of their obvious suspicions about ethan and i.

this crazy plan they came up with had been in action this whole time and i didn't even know it.

"grayson, please just listen to me," i say to him eagerly, tuning back into reality, "none of what i said to him was real."

"oh, really?" he scoffs, letting out an angry sounding laugh, "it's kind of hard to believe the same girl who lied to my brother for a whole month about her own age."

i see jack and cameron exchange a look with each other, their eyebrows raised, looking evidently surprised that he brought that up.

grayson's words are like stabs to my heart, and i shakily inhale and exhale. he's right, i can imagine that it's harder for him to trust me because of what happened, but i'm not that same girl anymore.

"you don't have to believe me," i say gently, looking him deep in his eyes which causes his dark looking orbs to soften a bit, "but at least listen to me because i'm your friend," i say, my voice cracking as my eyes start to become watery again.

there's a silence between us as we stare at each other for a few moments– but not an awkward silence, though. it's the kind of silence where it's almost as if we're communicating with each other with just our eyes, and words aren't even necessary.