4

It was a simple thing to most people, to tell others about themselves. Most people had interesting parts of their lives they would focus on, or perhaps they would speak of their schooling or studies. There were many experiences, likes and dislikes that people would tell others. It was common to most but to Jungkook it was an incredibly foreign thing for anyone to ask anything about him personally. He didn't exactly like it.

Yoongi was looking at him expectantly from the other side of the bar. Jungkook looked panicked for a moment before quickly rushing to say, "There's nothing to tell...."

Yoongi scoffed, "You don't even know how old you are, I think that's a bit important."

Jungkook shrugged, still spooning soup into his mouth. He loved the taste – he had never eaten anything as good in his entire life. Food was precious to him, something rare to have – a treat of sorts and he had certainly never had anything so flavorful.

"Where are your parents?" Yoongi asked, "And why were you out on the street?"

"Um..."

"If you're going to stay with me, you can't have secrets, Jungkook. So, with that in mind, please answer my questions." Yoongi wouldn't take no for an answer and if Jungkook even thought about lying, Yoongi would throw him back out into the cold.

"I don't have parents," he whispered into his soup bowl, head hung low in something akin to shame.

Something in Yoongi's heart hurt but he ignored it, "Why not?"

Jungkook shook his head, "They didn't want me as a kid...." He cleared his throat, "They gave me away."

"Adoption?"

Jungkook hesitated before nodding. Yoongi's eyes narrowed. Could he be lying? And if he was lying, why would he lie about adoption?

Jungkook finished his soup, leaning back in his chair a bit and revisiting the urge to pat his full belly. It was such a new feeling – being full. He wanted to cry tears of gratitude to Yoongi for his kindness but he knew he couldn't. Yoongi would probably get rid of him if he knew where he came from.

"When's your birthday?"

"I don't know," Jungkook shrugged, being honest. He felt a lump form in his throat. Everyone else he'd ever met knew exactly how old they were and when they were born. Jungkook didn't know those things about himself.

"How can you not know?" Yoongi scoffed, taking their bowls and setting them in the sink for the time being.

"I was never told and we didn't celebrate birthdays."

"We?"

Jungkook immediately shut his mouth. He opened it a few times, as if trying to find the right words, "I was adopted by a man and he didn't celebrate them."

Yoongi nodded. The answer was good enough for him. He could tell the younger was uncomfortable. Jungkook didn't seem like a threat and as long as he stayed that way, Yoongi wouldn't bother him too much about personal details of his life.

"So, what are your interests?" he decided to steer away from the current subject to something more lighthearted, "What kind of hobbies do you have, what do you like, what are your favorite movies?"

Movies.

Jungkook had only ever seen one movie in his entire life. It was his favorite movie in the world and he was sure there was no better movie out there, "Ironman!" he didn't even think before calling it out, a happy, lopsided smile on his face.

Yoongi chuckled at the childlike way Jungkook had shouted, "What about hobbies?"

Hobbies.

Jungkook didn't have any.

"I like singing," he muttered. It was the only thing that came to mind. He used to hum and sing when he was by himself so it seemed to be an acceptable answer.

"You like music, then?"

Jungkook nodded. He hadn't listened to too much music in his lifetime but there was definitely a spark within himself whenever he had.

Yoongi chuckled, "I'm a music producer. Do you want to check out my studio tomorrow?"

Jungkook's eyes widened as he leaned forward. He didn't even know what a music producer did but it sounded interesting and if he could, he wanted to find out more about it.

"Please?"