9

Jungkook did not like it when Yoongi told him he had to go back to work. He hadn't thrown a fit but he had pouted a lot, keeping quiet and frowning to himself. He seemed to despise the idea of staying in the hospital all by himself and when Yoongi asked him why, he would always avoid the question.

Jungkook was a mystery – perhaps even to himself. Yoongi knew nothing about his background save the fact he knew he had been adopted. The kid didn't even know how old he was but only that he had graduated high school. Of course, he could be lying about that and Yoongi would never have a clue. For all Yoongi knew, his name might not even be Jungkook.

Jungkook had grown a bit of an attachment to Yoongi within the few days he stayed in the hospital. Yoongi thought it was a bit cute. Jungkook didn't like to answer any of the doctors but he would always answer Yoongi. He looked at the nurses in their white scrubs with distrustful eyes but when Yoongi came into view he would brighten immediately. Yoongi found himself spending more and more time with the boy. He used to always leave work late, working overtime on his songs but now he would leave early, calling out a quick farewell to Namjoon over his shoulder as he rushed out to his car. He always wanted to spend the night with Jungkook, afraid the boy would have another bad dream, but Jungkook always sent him home, smiling and saying he was fine. Since that first time, Yoongi had never seen Jungkook sleep again.

A few days later, Jungkook was released into Yoongi's custody. His background search had come up blank which had confused the hospital staff immensely. Yoongi had covered for the boy after seeing his panicked expression and quickly vouched for Jungkook being alright, lying about how they had gone to school together years ago and seemed to only now reconnect again after so many years. They were given dubious looks but in the end, Jungkook was free to go as long as Yoongi kept a careful eye on him.

It wasn't until they arrived at Yoongi's house did the older man realize he had no idea how to take care of another human being.

He needed help... he needed Jin.

Kim Seokjin was one of the most caring induvials Yoongi had ever met. He was a mama bear if ever there was one but he knew how to take care of others and cook and clean and heal what was broken. And god, did Yoongi have a hell of a task before him healing a broken Jungkook. Yoongi made a mental note to call the man after he got Jungkook squared away.

Once they had gotten Jungkook in his wheelchair through Yoongi's front door, Jungkook was happily greeted by Holly. The poodle seemed to know better than to jump on the boy's weak frame, instead giving small licks to his clothed leg and yipping as Yoongi wheeled him further into the house. Jungkook giggled, holding his hand out and petting the dog's head as they made their way into the living room. Even Yoongi smiled at the adorable sight.

Yoongi knew he first had to get the boy up the stairs and into bed. It seemed like an impossible task but he set about it gently, pushing Jungkook's wheelchair to the first step and then stepping on front of the boy. Jungkook looked at him expectantly, curling his arms into his chest and giving Yoongi that doe eyed stare.

"I'm going to need your help," Yoongi said. An idea had lit up in his mind and hummed happily at Holly as the dog tried to get to where Yoongi was on the first step. The pup seemed to be having some trouble getting past Yoongi's wheelchair. It was well enough, Yoongi didn't need Holly underfoot.

Jungkook nodded quickly, waiting for orders. He yelped a bit as Yoongi quickly wheeled hi to where his side as facing the stairs instead of his front. Yoongi seemed pleased with himself in Jungkook's eyes and he found himself smiling at the older.

Yoongi knelt down, slipping an arm under Jungkook's legs. The boy jumped, wriggling a bit as he tried to move away from Yoongi's arm.

"Jungkook, stop it!" Yoongi snapped. He looked up into Jungkook's face when he felt the boy go unnaturally still. His doe eyes were wide, settling anywhere but in Yoongi's direction. He started fidgeting, his body shaking. Yoongi's brow furrowed. What on earth was wrong with him? "I'm sorry," he said gently, removing his arm from under Jungkook, "I'm trying to pick you up so I can carry you up the stairs. I didn't mean to be harsh."

Jungkook only nodded, barely responding but his fidgeting decreased.

"Is it ok if I carry you? The doctor said you shouldn't physically exert yourself in any way." Yoongi let his hand settle on Jungkook's knee. That made Jungkook's eyes drift to the hand. He seemed to be having some kind of internal conflict. His eyes flicked back and forth between Yoongi's hand on his knee and the stairs.

Finally Jungkook nodded again. He was shaking as Yoongi hoisted him up, placing on arm under his legs and another across his back to keep him steady and securely held. Jungkook's hands flew up to weakly grasp at Yoongi's shirt, nervously pulling on the collar and the material of the front. Jungkook prayed the man holding him tightly couldn't feel the beating of his heart. To Jungkook, it felt as though his heart was beating out of his chest.

Yoongi was happy to see the familiar sight of the guest room. He had already changed the sheets and washed them to give Jungkook a fresh bed to sleep in. He was also happy to put the boy down. Jungkook didn't weigh hardly a thing but Yoongi was lazy and out of shape despite his thin build. Jungkook was gently set on the bed, slipping down onto the cool, soft sheets but he still clutched to Yoongi's shirt.

The older laughed, "You can let go now."

Jungkook nodded again and again to himself, quickly letting go of Yoongi with shaky fingers, burying his hands under a blanket before Yoongi could see.

"Are you hungry?"

Jungkook looked up at Yoongi with big eyes, an almost excited feeling to him. Yoongi had learned Jungkook was always hungry and the doctors have given him strict orders to feed Jungkook a lot so he could increase his weight.

"Yes, I'm hungry," his voice was small, as if asking for any kind of food or accepting it was wrong.

Yoongi smiled anyway, "Then I'm going to go get you something to eat. You just relax, ok?"

Jungkook didn't want Yoongi to leave him but he agreed anyway. Food was far more important than company. Yoongi left with a grin on his face, slipping his phone out of his pocket and dialing his friend Jin.