Chapter 1: We're Fixing To Die

~Chapter 1~

~We're Fixing To Die~

My life hasn't been all that normal, to be honest.

First off, I'm an orphan. I've been adopted before, but no one can handle me. That's what the orphanage people say, anyway. Apparently I sleepwalk. I don't know why but every time I wake up I'm in a spot normal people can't get to. Once I woke up and was thirty feet up in a tree.

I guess that freaked out my new parents because a few days later, they returned me.

I've been adopted a lot, and because of that and my pyro-like behavior, I get returned. I was quite cute as a child, actually. My hair was legit red and my eyes hazel. My skin was pale but strangely, I've never had a sunburn. And I usually spend all of my time outside and away from the orphanage.

I did have three strange marks though. At the end of both my eyebrows were little bat wings and I also had what looked like a tattoo on my right upper arm of a scorpion within a diamond in red ink.

I don't know how I got them but the people from my first orphanage who found me on the front steps in a basket said I had always had them.

"Desert! Wake up!" I sighed, opening my eyes. I had been trying to distract myself since I woke up yet I ended up thinking about my past.

"What?" I growled, looking down at the ground. I had sleepwalked (or sleepclimbed, I guess) up another tree.

"It's time for school! Get down!" I sighed, opening my eyes and glaring down at my social worker. Unfortunately, her house was right across from my new orphanage so she kept coming and waking me up.

"Screw off! It's winter break, idiot!" I called back. She blinked in surprise then looked back at her phone.

"Oh...." I heard her mutter somehow. I was, like, thirty feet up in the tree.

"Okay, lets go to breakfast and talk!" She revised. I snorted. When we had our 'talks' she tried to make me confess about the sadness and anger I felt. Well, as I tell her every time, I don't feel either of those emotions. I barely feel emotions at all, really.

Being bounced back and forth between houses and being unloved does that to you. You may have people claim they love you when really, if you show a slight sign of being abnormal, your shunned and abandoned.

"No thank you. By the way, what's the date?" I questioned.

She checked her phone again. "The twenty-first!"

So it was December 21, 2012. The day of my birthday which no one remembered. And also the day of the apocalypse. Where's the destruction, bro?

I sat up, looking around at the clear sky before shrugging. I started climbing down, glad I've taken to wearing my next set of clothes to bed. Don't want anyone seeing me in pajamas, right?

I wore a teal jacket, a black tank top and a pair of dark jeans cut off at the knee. Given the fact, when I sleepwalk, I put on my shoes I wore my scuffed black and teal Vans.

"So, breakfast?" Heather suggested. I looked over at her, resisting the urge to sigh. She never dressed casually. She wore a white dress shirt tucked into a black pencil skirt and some black heels. Her russet hair was put into an uncomfortable looking bun and she had her green eyes surrounded by mascara and eyeliner. On her lips was red lipstick and she also wore a Pearl necklace.

"You look so uncomfortable it makes me sick just looking at you." I stated. Her eye twitched and I smirked, trudging along the dew-soaked grass towards her car. It was a silver Audi A8. How she got it working as a social worker, I'll never know.

"Clean your feet!" She snapped as she scurried towards the drivers side. I rolled my eyes, beating my feet together outside the car and watched as a load of dirt fell on to the pavement. I snickered at her disgusted expression then got into the car, slamming the door. She sighed before climbing in as well and pulled out of the Wolf Falls Orphanage driveway.

"So, what would you like? Denny's? iHop? Waffle House?" She listed off other places and I sighed.

"Just go to McDonald's." She wrinkled her nose but complied, pulling into the turning lane; seeing as we had been about to pass it.

She pulled into a parking spot and got out, me following her lead as we marched into the building.

"Whatcha getting?" I questioned as we stood in line. She looked at the menu, squinting and wrapped up in her own thoughts. I rolled my eyes, stepping up to the counter as the person in front of us moved away.

"I'll take two hashbrowns and a medium Dr. Pepper." The lady nodded, clicking buttons on the register before handing me my cup. I headed over to the drink fountains as Heather finally ordered.

Once the food was ready I grabbed it and took it over to a table while Heather took a while to decide her drink.

"So, how do you like your new orphanage?" Heather asked brightly. I glanced up at her, keeping my eyes hidden slightly by my bangs.

"It sucks." I replied after a moment. Her jaw dropped, obviously not expecting that answer.

"But its the best one in the country!"

I scowled, pointing my hashbrown towards her. "Any orphanage sucks compared to a real home."

She went silent after that and I nodded, quickly finishing both hashbrowns and went up to get a refill.

Suddenly the two TVs up on the wall flashed red and the volume was turned up by one of the employees while a news anchor appeared.

"We've just received alerts of a meteor crashing in an hour off the coast of Wolf Haven, Carolina. Scientists are trying rapidly to find a possible way to revert disaster but...." He stared at the teleprompter that was hidden from our view before his expression changed into one of determination. "You know what? Fuck this. Everyone, we're probably fixing to die. The Mayans were right. I suggest you find a loved one and enjoy you're last moments together."

With that, the man pushed away from his desk and walked off camera.

Everyone in McDonald's stared at one another before movement returned. I quickly placed the cap on my soda before heading out the door, Heather on my heels.

"What the hell?! You'd think the fucking government would tell us hours ago that were going to die!" I shouted, getting into the Audi. Heather silently got in, gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"We're fixing to die. We're fixing to die...." She murmured, her eyes wide with shock and she suddenly decided to have a lead foot and speed out of the parking lot.

~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~

Authors Note

Ello all! Yes, yes a new fanfic. This one I'm writing on my phone so you'll get more updates ^^ not sure how long its gonna be though >.> plus I don't have spellcheck, bold or italics -.-'

Anyway, enjoy! Peace!

~Mew