Chapter 29: Anniversary

~Chapter 29~

~Anniversary~

~Daseki's POV~

For some reason, Sasori has been a lot more....civil lately. He's not always in his room either and he's actually talking to me! It's weird as fuck but....I think he's actually trying to be like an actual brother.

Like now, for example. I had developed a tradition lately where, once every month, I'll cook an actual meal since we mostly ate either junk food or some microwave meal. I only knew how to cook like three things though so that's what I would cook every time.

I would buy some steak for everyone, a baked potato and either rice or corn along with it. It had been one of my favorite meals at home and, whenever I got a new family and they'd ask what I'd want for dinner, this is what I'd ask for. It wasn't often I'd be adopted so I only got this meal on occasion.

But anyway, back to Sasori. He had actually asked if I wanted HELP cooking. I'd discovered he was the only other one in the base with the ability cook so....I'd accepted. He seemed very....achieved, I believe. Like he had accomplished something.

It didn't take us long to finish cooking before the entire Akatsuki had gathered around the table in the kitchen (even Pain and Konan) and were eating like a pack of rabid animals.

"I fucking love Cooking Day." Hidan practically purred, taking a huge bite of his steak which he held in his bare hands. Yeah, not a lot of manners were used....

And I had also given the label to this day as Cooking Day so everyone knew to get the fuck out of my way and not to enter the kitchen at all.

I'd even taken it as far as sticking a paper labeled 'Cooking Day' beside the kitchen door to make sure people knew what day it was.

I'd even started to get along with Zetsu better, seeing as he was somewhat civil as long as it wasn't his feeding day. All I had to give him on this day was two raw steaks and he was good.

"Agreed, un." Deidara muttered, steak sauce staining his cheeks.

I sweatdropped, finishing off my baked potato before starting on my steak. All I did was cut it in half before using butter as a dipping sauce and taking a bite.

"I actually saw Sasori helping her." Kisame stated and everyone glanced at the puppet who was just sitting in his chair, nothing on his plate. He technically COULDN'T eat so we hadn't made him anything.

"What?" He muttered, looking at them blankly. They all shrugged before turning back to their meal.

I watched them with a small smile, enjoying today. I had been here longer than any place other than an orphanage. I'd only spent six months with Granny Chiyo and that had been the longest before.

"Thank you guys." I suddenly said and they all paused, turning to look at me.

"For what?" Kakuzu questioned.

I looked at them all one by one before grinning hugely. "For everything. I've been here a full year today and....you know, this is the longest I've stayed anywhere in my entire life. And, even if we're all technically just a bunch of criminals, I feel like I have a family for the first time in my life." With that I stood up, my plate empty. I headed out of the kitchen, silently crying for some reason.

~3RD Person POV~

"....I feel sorry for her." Konan suddenly muttered. The others nodded before Deidara got up, following after Daseki while leaving his clean plate.

Sasori soon followed his lead, leaving the others to clean up.

"You're turn Hidan." Pain ordered, him and Konan exiting the room. The others quickly left, leaving the Jashinist to look around at all the dirty dishes.

"Motherfuckers!!" He yelled, leaving a few members snickering while others just smirked.

Meanwhile, the puppet and the bomber were looking for Daseki.

"Why are you looking for her, un?" Deidara questioned, looking down at Sasori.

He narrowed his eyes, keeping his gaze forward. "....I read that book."

Deidara's eyes widened as he snapped his gaze to the stoic redhead. After a moment, Deidara looked forward with a smirk. "I win, yeah."

"Shut up, brat." Sasori huffed, looking around. Deidara rolled his eyes, transporting himself into her room. She wasn't there so he tried another place she'd be: Kisame's room.

She wasn't there though so he sighed, starting to check every room. Sasori had gone outside to check and to his surprise Daseki was there, staring up at the full moon and stars.

"....Daseki...." Sasori murmured, catching his sister's attention. She glanced over at the puppet before returning her gaze to the sky.

"What do ya want, Sasori?" She questioned, putting her arms behind her head.

"....are you alright?" He questioned after heavy consideration. Daseki blinked in surprise, turning her head to stare at the emotionless man wide-eyed.

"Uhh....yeah, I guess." She muttered after a few minutes of staring and turned to look back up at the sky.

"How many homes have you actually been through?" Sasori asked after several quiet moments.

"....three hundred forty-two." She replied after quickly calculating all of them in her head. Sasori's head snapped to her incredulously and she shrugged.

"I'm a sleepwalking pyromaniac. Who would want me as their kid?" With that she turned onto her side, her back facing the puppet. The man stared at her for a few minutes, debating whether he should say something or not. Eventually, he decided.

"I'd want you as a sister."