Prologue

“Goodbye, Niall.” I looked at my best friend with tears in my eyes. We were seven and I was about to leave Mullingar to move to Australia. At that small age, I thought losing my best friend was the end of the world, clearly he did too.

Both my hands were placed in his and I was afraid to let go. I looked at his eyes, once bright blue, now a shade of grey and bubbling with tears.

“Goodbye Lucy, I’ll miss you.” His small voice squeaked as the tears slowly poured down his plump, red cheeks. He let go of my hands and pulled me into a tight hug and we both cried on each other’s shoulders.

Finally it was time for me to leave. He squeezed me tightly once more and then he let me go. “I’ll see you around Nialler.” His small eyes widened as I called him by the nickname I gave him and I giggled a little knowing he hated it.

“Have a good time in Australia, Luc.” I turned back around and waved one last time before my mum scooped me up and walked me towards the plane. I didn’t take my eyes off Niall until mum and I rounded a corner that led us to the door of the plane.

I never spoke a word as my mum and dad strapped me in place in my seat. As the plane taxied on the runway, tears flowed freely from my eyes. I missed Niall already, I just didn’t understand why we had to move so far away. On that plane, in my small, seven-year-old mind, I vowed to myself that I will find Niall again.