Chapter 6

Everything clicked into place and I was taken way back, 12 years ago, to a painful memory that I had long forgotten. I watched my seven-year-old self tear up as I said good bye to my best friend. I hated that memory and I forced myself to forget it altogether. Now he’s back, Niall James Horan, my childhood best friend.

“Niall,” I whispered, almost scared.

“Lucy, I’m back. It’s me, Nialler, remember?” he spoke softly too.

I nodded. The nickname he’s always hated. It really is him. I had a million questions running through my head. “You’re James? The James that I’ve been talking to online?”

He nodded, “That’s me Luc.”

I had to remind myself to breathe. “How did you know it was me? How did you know where to find me? What’s going on, Niall?”

He chuckled and offered his hand again. I took it cautiously, still afraid that he’s going to vanish. “I’ll explain soon. I need you to take me to somewhere secluded though, any place where it’s not crowded. Do you trust me?”

I felt his warm, strong hands squeeze mine slightly. “For now, yes, I want answers Niall. Come on, I know a place.” He grinned and I found myself smiling back at him. I tugged on his hand and walked away from the pond. Before I got a few steps ahead, my brain finally started working and I stopped and faced him.

He looked worried. I grinned widely and threw my arms around him, “I missed you like crazy, Nialler,” I told him.

He laughed loudly, putting his arms around my waist, “I missed you too, Luc.”

I let go of him and we continued walking. I led him to a bench, hidden behind a large tree, not too far from the pond where we’d just met. I found this place when I started university, if ever I wanted some place quiet or if I wanted to be alone, this was the place I went to. No one seems to know about it, but it was a beautiful area.

We both sat down and I just looked at him, waiting for him to start explaining. “Where do I even start?” he said, running a hand through his hair.

I chuckled, “How about the beginning?”

He grinned and started off telling me about the chat room. He recalled the first time we talked, how nervous he was, how unsure he was. Then he told me about the time he asked me for a picture, he said he did it because he had a feeling that it was me. When he saw my picture, he recognised me instantly but he kept pretending that he was just a stranger. Then he went on, telling his side of the story, how he always looked to see if I was online and how he’d wait for me. Then he got to the part when he told me he was coming to Australia and something sparked in my mind.

“Hey Niall, you said you came here for work reasons. Is that still true or is it just a part of your charade?” I asked him, looking him square in the eyes.

For a moment, his smile faltered, but he was quick to replace it. “You don’t know who I am, do you, Luc?”

My brows knitted in confusion. “What do you mean, I don’t know who you are?”

His face turned serious, like he didn’t know how to tell me something. “I’m part of a boy band, now, Lucy. I’m one fifth of One Direction.”

One Direction, the name rings a bell. But because I’m an anti social freak, I don’t know who they are. I shook my head, “I don’t know much about you guys, I’m sorry. I’m guessing you guys are big though?”

He smiled, looking relieved. “No need to be sorry. I’ll explain more about us later, actually, it might be easier to show you than tell you.”

“I’m not quite following, Niall,” I laughed nervously.

He grinned again, “Don’t worry, are you free tonight?”

“I don’t know, I’ll ask my parents.” Then I had an idea, “Hey Niall, I’m sure my parents would want to see you again. Wanna come meet them?” He nodded eagerly. I looked at my watch. “Perfect timing, if we go now, we can get there before they do.”

He nodded again and stood up, I led him to where my car was parked. I drove off and another question popped into my head. “Niall, how did you find me?”

He laughed really hard, like I just said something funny. “Believe it or not, it was your parent’s idea.”

My mouth gaped open and I glanced at him disbelievingly. “What?”

He chuckled again, “You see, when I recognised you, I told my parents immediately. They, unlike you and I, still contacted each other once in a while so it was easy for them to tell your parents about me. When your parents found out I was headed here, they were quick to tell my parents where you lived and a possible meeting area. So here I am, with you and your beautiful face, after 12 long years.”

I blushed and glared at him, he laughed. “I can’t believe it! My own parents? I’m surprised they didn’t tell me off for talking to a stranger online,” I joked.

Soon enough, I was turning into our drive way and I led him inside the house. It’s 6 pm, my parents will be home soon.

“Got food, Luc?” Niall asked, walking around.

I rolled my eyes, of course, how can I forget? “In the pantry, Nialler, second cupboard to your left.”

He opened the cabinet door and rummaged through our supplies. He settled for a packet of chips and made his way to the lounge room. “Wanna watch a movie?” I asked. He nodded and I pointed him to a shelf of DVD’s. He picked up Toy Story 2. “It’s Liam’s favourite movie,” he explained, chuckling.

“Who’s Liam?” I asked curiously as I played the movie.

“Oh right, you don’t know.” He chuckled, “Never mind.”

He wiggled around on the couch, finding his comfortable spot. I giggled, I remember him doing this when we were little. Haven’t changed one bit, I thought.

About 20 minutes into the movie, my parents came in through the door, holding some bags. I see they brought home dinner. They laughed at the sight of Niall and I and continued to the kitchen. Niall paused the movie and beckoned me to follow them.

“Hello Mr and Mrs Mason, long time no see,” he said, smiling at them.

“Hello Niall, dear. We’ve missed you! I see you and Lucy have gotten settled back already,” my mum said hugging Niall. My dad shook his hand and clapped his back.

“I can’t believe you set this up.” I said to them, giggling.

“Well we thought we’d be cool and surprise you,” my dad said. I rolled my eyes, always trying to act young, I thought.

“We’ll talk over dinner, Lucy, darling, set up the table. We brought home Nandos,” my mum said winking at me.

At the same time, Niall and I both cried, “Nandos!” We both looked at each other and laughed.

“I didn’t know you liked Nandos, Niall,” I said.

“Yea, it’s my favourite!” he said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

We both got to work putting plates and cutlery on the table and everything seemed perfectly normal. I still couldn’t believe my best friend is back.