Chapter 50

“We’re going home! We’re going home!” I sang out, dancing wildly inside our hotel room. Stephanie laughed at me and continued to close her bags.

“Yes we are!” she said.

I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face, I was simply too excited to keep still. Our month in America is finally over and I’d talked to Niall last night and apparently, the band was on a week break before continuing on the tour so I could actually come home to him. I was so excited, I mean, I liked America, it was fun and full of life but still, I’d missed home and Niall, of course.

When both our bags were secured, we headed down to the cafeteria to eat a quick breakfast before going to the airport and jetting off home. We scarfed a plate of food and then raced back upstairs to get changed for the flight.

“Are you excited?” Steph asked sarcastically when we were going through customs.

“God no! I wish I could live here forever.” I rolled my eyes at her. We both burst out laughing, earning us a few judgemental stares from other passengers and officials.

We’d made it through security and was now just waiting to board the plane when my phone rang.

From: Niall

Hey baby! Can’t wait to see you! Hope you have a safe flight over. Promise we’ll celebrate when you get here.”

I giggled. “It’s lover boys isn’t it?” Steph said, looking over my shoulder. I just nodded and typed a message back.

To: Niall

Thanks baby, can’t wait to see you too. Just admit it Niall, you’re only looking for an excuse to get yourself drunk out of your mind.

“That’s a bit crude,” Steph commented.

I laughed. “It’s alright, it’s just a joke.”

My phone buzzed with a reply.

From: Niall

I’m offended, love! I want to celebrate coz you’re coming home, of course! Silly Lucy. Anyway, gotta go. Be safe, baby. I love you.

I smiled and sent one last reply before I turned my phone off and got ready for the flight.

Finally, our flight number was called and Steph and I were the first to line up to board. Once inside, we hauled our carry-on bags into the overhead compartment and strapped ourselves in, ready for the long flight home.

“Ready for this?” I turned to Steph, who was already flicking through the menu.

“Hell yes!” she giggled.

“Steph, we just ate, how can you be hungry again?” I raised my eyebrows.

She rolled her eyes. “I’m not hungry, I’m just preparing for later, you know, so I’m ready to order when I do get hungry.”

I couldn’t help but burst into laughter. “You are such a weirdo!”

She frowned. “What? I’m being practical.”

I snorted, “Yea, ok.”

She kept on looking through the other leaflets and booklets in front of her and I just sat back and relaxed, looking out at the foggy grounds outside. When the plane’s wheels started rolling down the runway, my stomach lurched and my heart pounded with excitement.

I grinned widely at Steph to show her just how excited I really was and she giggled at me. I sat back and briefly closed my eyes, feeling myself being pushed back into the seat as the plane took a steep ascent to the clouds.

As the plane levelled out, I relaxed and reached for the earphones they provided and plugged myself in, browsing through the movie list on the screen in front of me. I settled on 27 Dresses and Steph grinned at me in approval. I giggled in reply and gave her a thumbs up.

Throughout the flight, I couldn’t stop thinking about Niall. I could just imagine his warm body hugging my own and how his head is always buried at the crook of my neck. Call me crazy but I could imagine his scent and how it filled my nose whenever I’m near him. I really miss him and the other boys too, of course. They were always the life of the party, or just the life in general. Everything was so bland without them around but I don’t have to fret anymore since I was going to be seeing them again in just a few hours time.

With that thought, I turned off the screen, plugged my own iPod in my ears and rested my head back on the seat. I closed my eyes and thought that I’d sleep to pass the time. And so time passed indeed but when I woke up, the atmosphere of the plane was different.

I was being bounced around in my seat too much and suddenly I felt alert. I looked beside me to see Steph smiling nervously and I took off my earphones. “What’s going on?” I asked.

“Turbulence. We’re nearly there though.”

I sighed in relief and sat back again. However, just as I was about to relax, the plane took a scaringly low dip and I felt my stomach heave. I gripped the arm rests tightly and prayed that we would get there safely.

The plane was now going insane and I heard whispers through the passengers that we’re having an engine malfunction. Panic was in the air and my own heart started beating incredibly fast. Finally the plane levelled out again and flew smoothly so I sat back, took a deep breath and closed my eyes briefly. As I did, I saw an image of my parents, smiling gently at me with their arms outstretched as if they were beckoning me to them. The picture scared me and I forced my eyes open. My heart was still hammering against my chest and just as I thought everything was ok, the plane angled vertically down and sped towards the ground below.

Moments before impact, I braced myself. We were hurtling down at incredible speeds and the ground wasn’t going to give way. I felt my heart stop and then darkness washed over me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what'd you think? Keep those comments and votes coming! xx