Chapter 28

“Lucy, hurry! We’re gonna miss our flight!” Alexis reprimanded me.

I sluggishly walked out of my room with my suitcase in tow and joined Alexis and the boys in the living room. They boys were kind enough to take the day off to see us to the airport. I didn’t want to leave. Not at all. If only I wasn’t 19, I’d be wailing and shouting and holding on to the most stable thing just to stay here. I didn’t want to leave Niall again, three months without properly seeing him was a very slow and painful torture. Who knows when I’m gonna see him again?

All seven of us walked out of our hotel room, for the last time, and down the hall to the elevators. Niall tugged my suitcase from my grip and held my hand tightly in his other. I had to force myself not to cry when I felt his hand on mine. I was going to miss this, just this simple display of love.

We all piled in to a van silently, none of us really wanting to speak. The drive to the airport was shorter than I had thought, or maybe it was just me, because I didn’t want to arrive. I dreaded every step I took towards the entrance but Niall didn’t let my hand go and I never wanted him to.

As we got to the security checks, I practically had to tear myself away from him just to go through the process and just getting through it felt like forever. When Alexis and I joined the boys again at the departure lounge, I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore so I buried myself into the crook of Niall’s neck and sobbed. Immediately, his arms were around me, rubbing circles on my back and he rested his cheek on the side of my head. I felt something wet hit my temple and it took me a while to figure out that he was in tears too. This just made me hold on to him tighter, I hated seeing him cry and I’ve only ever seen him once when he was the one leaving me.

It was barely five minutes when our flight number was getting called. I squeezed Niall tightly but he didn’t object. Not breaking our hug, he stood up and lifted me with him.

“Please don’t let me go,” I pleaded, whispering in his ear.

“I have to, Luc. You have to go back and study. We’ll be together again soon, I promise,” he said, his voice breaking.

“I don’t want to leave, Niall. I’m going to miss you so much,” I sobbed.

“Shh, it’s gonna be alright. We’ll keep in touch, we’ve done it before, we can do it again, I promise.”

Then he reached for my hands behind his back and unclasped it. No matter how hard I tried to hold on, he was stronger than me. When I lifted my head from his shoulder, I could tell he was in pain too.

He let my hands go but immediately, Liam’s arms were around me. “We’re going to miss you, Lucy. Thank you so much for visiting us. Whenever we get a long enough break, I promise I’ll boot Niall’s bum onto a plane to see you.”

I managed a small laugh through my tears. “Thanks Liam,” I said.

Louis hugged me next, swaying me side to side. “We’ll see you soon, Luc. It’ll be like we were never apart.”

Then it was Zayn. “I’ll definitely miss you! You and Alexis are both angels coming to visit us. We’ll miss both of you brightening up our work days but we’ll be back. We’ll see you again really soon.”

I smiled and nodded at him. Last was Harry, he came over with teary eyes as well and engulfed me in his arms. “Thank you for visiting, Luc. I can’t tell you how grateful I am that you brought Alexis along too. I’ll miss both of you. Take care, ok? And take care of my Alexis too.”

“I promise, Haz,” I said to him.

He let me go and walked back to Alexis. Suddenly, I was in Niall’s arms again. Our flight number was announced again saying it was calling for its last passengers. I sobbed harder, not wanting to leave.

“You have to go now, Luc but I promise I’ll see you soon. Keep yourself safe and if you need anything, call me, text me, whatever and I’ll be there in a flash. You are my whole world, Lucy and I love you so much,” he said.

“I love you too Niall. I just wish we don’t have to keep being apart.”

“When you finish university, I promise we won’t have to be anymore. We’ll move in together and you can travel with me or settle for a career close by. No more goodbye’s, no more distance, I promise that, Lucy. But for now, you have to go.” Again, he tore my grip from his waist and squeezed my hands one last time before letting me go and walking towards the rest of the boys. He wiped his tears away and tried to put on a brave smile for me but he faltered and just waved instead.

I stood there, frozen, but Alexis wrapped an arm around my shoulder, twisted me around and forcefully led me towards the plane doors. “It’ll be ok, Luc. Everything’s going to be ok,” she said but her own voice was weak and it sounded more like she was convincing herself than me. I was still grateful for her though, I wouldn’t have moved if she didn’t push me.

Just before we boarded the plane, Alexis and I looked back one more time to the boys we both have grown to love with all our hearts and gave one last wave. As I walked inside, I felt heart my being torn apart, just like the last time when I saw Niall leave, and I knew the other half was left in his big, warm and loving hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Keep those comments and votes coming :) I appreciate every single one of them and I promise I'll update again soon :D x