Chapter 42

The next morning, I woke up with a start. I glanced at my clock and quickly jumped out of bed. “Oh crap!” I exclaimed, rushing to the bathroom. It was already 11 am and I was supposed to be at the airport in an hour to pick up the boys. I took the quickest shower I’ve had in my life and hastily put on some decent clothes. I brushed through my knotted hair and pulled it up into a ponytail before slipping on some shoes, grabbing my phone, purse and keys and rushed out of the door.

I drummed my fingers impatiently on the steering wheel while I waited behind an endless line of cars that were all trying to get somewhere. As soon as the traffic started moving, I pressed down on the accelerator and sped up my journey, eager to get there. After a painstaking half hour later, I’d finally made it to the airport and rushed to the café where Danielle and Eleanor were already waiting, looking immaculate as always.

“Hey girls,” I greeted, plopping down on a seat.

“Let me guess, you woke up late again?” Danielle teased.

I poked my tongue out. “No, I had other matters to attend to, thank you very much,” I replied.

They both laughed. “Liar,” spoke Eleanor.

“Oh well sorry I enjoy my sleep. Anyway, I haven’t had breakfast yet so I’ll just pop over to the counter and grab a quick bite. You guys want anything?” I asked, standing back up again.

They shook their heads. “No thanks, we’ve had our food.”

I nodded and walked to the counter. Once I’d got my food and a steaming cup of coffee, I walked back to them and started munching. “When are the boys due to arrive?”

“Um, in around about ten minutes, I’m pretty sure. Is that right, El?”

Eleanor nodded. “Something like that.” I nodded and kept on eating. “Ooh, guess what? I have a shoot coming up this week. Yes!”

“Oh that’s great! Who’s it for this time?” Danielle asked, cupping her chin with her palm.

“Chanel. This time, if they’re happy with my shots, they said they’ll hire me to work for them full time,” she said, excitedly bouncing on her seat.

“Wow, that’s awesome! I’m sure you’ll do well, as always,” I said, grinning at her.

“Oh you flatter me, Luc.” We all burst out laughing. “But it’s so exciting, I hope I get hired. I can’t wait to tell Louis.”

Danielle and I both winked at her and she laughed again. Just then, they boys’ flight number was announced, saying that they’ve landed. The three of us jumped out of our seats and I threw away my waste before heading to the arrival area.

“Oh guys, you go ahead. I need to go to the toilet,” I said.

They both nodded. “But go quick, they’ll be here soon.”

I turned and jogged to the direction of the toilets. On my way there, something in the news agent caught my eye and I immediately stopped and walked towards it.

My jaw dropped when I unfolded the newspaper. A picture of Niall kissing another girl dominated the front page. My heart beat sped up and it was pounding loudly on against my chest. What the hell is this? I skimmed my eyes through the article and read that it happened a few nights ago after a party in Spain. My eyes flicked back to the picture, there was no mistaking that face and his lips were locked with hers.

I felt my heart shatter and tears threatened to spill. I shut my eyes for a brief second to stop them from falling and I quickly fished out some change and paid for it at the cashier. “Scandalous, ain’t it?” the man behind the counter said. I kept my head bowed and nodded then I walked away from the store.

My legs felt like lead and I just wanted to collapse, how could he have done this? And he didn’t even tell me! My phone vibrated in pocket and I looked at it. There was a message from Danielle.

From: Dani J

Luc, the boys are going out the back. Too many fans. You know where that is, right? Meet us there.

I gripped my phone tightly in my hand and brushed away the tears that fell. I turned on my heels and walked quickly towards the back exits of the airport and looked around for the familiar faces. A babble of chatter caught my ear and I turned towards them. I felt like I’ve been punched in the stomach when I saw Niall’s face. He looked indifferent, happy as always, greeting Danielle and Eleanor.

I slowly made my way through to them and his face lit up when he spotted me. I set my face straight, otherwise I was just going to break down and cry. I greeted the other boys first but already, I knew that they sensed something was wrong.

“Uh Luc, um, we have a car waiting for us. Are you driving home with Niall?” Liam asked, cautiously as if he’s afraid he’s going to set me off.

“No, he’ll be right with you,” I said, my voice even.

They all looked confused but said nothing else and just walked away. Niall looked at me too, smile half gone and his brow scrunched up.

“Is something wrong, baby?” he asked, reaching out for my arm.

I flinched away from it and slapped the paper in his chest, making him stumble backwards. He clutched it and when he found his footing, he glanced down and his eyes widened in surprise at the picture staring back up at him.

“Welcome home, darling,” I spat out bitterly, crossing my arms.

He looked up at me and guilt was plastered on his face. “Lucy, I can explain. This is a complete mistake. Please hear me out.”

I brushed away my tears angrily and glared at him. “Save your breath Niall. Why don’t you just go back and fetch that girl you’re so clearly in love with.”

He gaped at me. “No, Lucy, you don’t understand,” he started.

“No, I understand that perfectly, Niall,” I seethed. “There’s no need for explanations. I always knew I was never good enough for you and you clearly just proved it.”

“Lucy, just hear me out,” he pleaded.

“No. Enough is enough. Goodbye Niall.” Then I turned and ran away, back to where my car was parked. I heard his voice shouting out my name behind me but I couldn’t care less. The tears were blinding me and my heart was pounding loudly. I just wanted to get away. I can’t believe he’d do this to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on the chapter? You guys still keen on reading more? Apologies for the delayed update, I've been having troubles keeping the story up.. Anyways, I hope you guys still like it and thanks for all the comments you leave :D x