Chapter 14

It's been a good past few days since Niall had asked me to be his girlfriend. I still wasn't really over the shock of it but I was getting used to it. He's been texting me whenever I'm not with him, otherwise we'd be together somewhere.

Today marks their last week in Australia before they get back to their job of dominating the world. It was something I truly dread because I don't want to lose Niall again. It's been 12 years and I just got him back. How could I stand to see him fly off again and not see him for months on end? I couldn't. So I was determined to stay as close as possible to him this next week in the futile hope that I'll have enough memories of us together to last me for a while.

Yet, I feel bad. Bad because I'm taking him away from his band mates, because I rarely get to see my parents and most of all because I feel like I'm constantly ditching Alexis for Niall. Our month break from uni ends when the boys fly away and I can't honestly say that I've properly hung out with her at all.

I know I've said that I want to stay as close as possible to Niall but I'm giving up today to just hang out with my best friend. Then I'm going to prepare dinner for my parents just to show them that I'm still there.

I grabbed my phone off my table and let Niall know of the change of plans. He said it was ok and that he was going to hang out with the boys instead. Then I told Alexis to get ready. We were going shopping!

I drove to her house then headed off to the mall.

"Thanks for doing this, Luc," she said, barely containing her excitement.

"No problem. I'm really sorry I've been ditching you though."

She laughed, "It's ok. I've found new friends."

"And a possible boyfriend," I added, laughing. "I'm still sorry though," I said more sincerely.

She didn't reply to me and it bothered me. I took a quick glance at her to see her face looking sad. "What's wrong?" I asked.

I saw her look at me and sigh. "That's the thing, Luc. Haz doesn't seem to want me to be his girlfriend."

I was puzzled. "But he seems so happy when he's with you. I thought you guys were already locked."

"Well apparently not," she said, her voice getting slightly angrier.

"I'm sure he does. Give him a bit more time, I'll talk to him about it," I said. Then I signalled, turning into the parking lot. She stayed quiet and we both just walked inside. I could tell she was still bothered. "Is that ok?" I asked, looking for confirmation.

She stopped to face me, looking both furious and sad. "No it's not ok, Lucy. I want him to do it because he wants to not because you told him to." She pointed an accusing finger at me.

"Hey, I'm only trying to help!" I said, desperate.

"Yea? Well maybe I don't need your help. Ever think of that? Besides, I don't want Harry. He's going to be leaving in a week anyway." Her words stung but I could tell it was all a lie. It took all my self control not to snap at her. Instead, I just took a deep breath and held her arm.

"Alexis, I didn't mean it like that. I just thought maybe Harry could use a little nudge," I said softly. "You should see the way he looks at you. The way his face lights up when you talk to him, or sit next to him." I sighed then continued, "Alexis, I know that's a lie. I know you have feelings for Harry too. He's not the only one who gets excited when he sees you. I know you do too. Just give him a chance, Lex."

She looked at me and I saw the same old Lexi that I first met. Full of life and very optimistic. She sighed before hugging me. "I'm so sorry I snapped at you like that. I shouldn't have." Then she let go and looked me in the eyes. "You're right, Luc. I'm madly in love with your boyfriend's best friend. I just wish he'd ask me."

I giggled lightly, "There's the Lexi I know." Then I added more seriously, "It's going to happen, Lex. I know it will. Because Harry isn't a jerk."

She smiled at me. "Enough of this. We came here for girl's time."

She linked her arm through mine and we walked around various shops, trying on the most ridiculous outfits and buying the cute ones.  Overall, it was a really good day and it made me realise how grateful I am to have a friend like Alexis.

Several shopping bags and a burning hole in our pockets later, we were done with our retail therapy. I drove her home and then went on my way as well. When I got home, I stashed my items in my room before going back downstairs to prepare dinner.

I had decided on Raviolli pasta in Bolognaise sauce. It was a family favourite and no one really had time to cook it lately. I also put in a bit more effort in setting up the table, aligning the cutleries and glasses neatly before serving the pasta in a nice plate.

When my parents came home, their faces lit up too, seeing what I'd done. We all settled down to eat but before anyone took a bite, my mum spoke up. "Seems like Niall's doing you good."

My dad chuckled and I smiled at both of them. I didn't bother hiding the fact that Niall was my boyfriend. We operated under a "no secret" policy in the house. Well, we tried anyway, but I knew my parents would approve, so I just told them straight up.

As I ate, I sent a silent prayer up to God for giving me a good family who loves me and a group of friends who are always there for me. Then I dug in, occasionally joining the conversation about one thing or another.