Chapter 51

It’s like I’m living in a void of nothing. I can’t feel or see anything but I could hear. Voices, there were voices around me. I don’t understand what they’re saying, it was all too jumbled up. Where am I? Is this death? Am I still alive? A million questions ran through my mind and I had no answer for any of them. I couldn’t even feel the beat of my heart or the breath escaping my lips to confirm that I’m still alive.

I tried to focus again on the voices, I tried to shut everything else out and just listened to the mumbling sounds. Who was speaking? What are they talking about? Despite my best attempts, there was nothing I could do to clarify anything so I resolved to just giving in to the pull and slip into darkness once again.

That was when a memory sparked. Niall! Where is he? Is he ok? I need to get to him right away. Does he know what happened to me? I hate the thought of him worrying, I hope he doesn’t find out. My scrambled thoughts about him kept me away from the terrifying darkness looming somewhere close. I kept myself preoccupied with memories of the two of us and it made me want to cry, I couldn’t however and that just made me worry even more. I don’t know what really has happened to me.

I remember the plane crashing and that instantaneous darkness that came over me. Where is Stephanie? I wonder if she survived, I hope she did. I feel guilty for not looking out for her to check if she managed to brace herself too. She was strong though, Steph, so I know she would have made it. Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone actually survived. What happened to the plane? Why did it crash? Again, millions of questions continued to swarm my rational thoughts and it was driving me insane.

The voices disrupted my thoughts again but this time, they were magnified, a bit clearer than when I tried to understand moments ago. Once again, I strained to hear what they were talking about.

“She’s very lucky she’s still alive but she’s holding on by a very thin thread.” It was a male voice, one that I didn’t recognise. Were they talking about me? Who was he talking to? I pushed the questions aside and listened again.

“Can I see her?” This voice, I recognised. It was Niall. He’s here! Does that mean I am alive then? “I said, can I see her?” His voice was raised and he sounded very distressed.

“Niall.” Liam. I know it’s him. By the tone of his voice, I could imagine him holding Niall back.

“I want to see her. Lucy.” The sound of my name sent my brain haywire. He was crying. Don’t cry Niall. I’m ok, I think.

There was a sigh then a sound of a door opening. I heard footsteps, several of them. The rest of the boys must be here as well. “Lucy!” Niall shouted. His touch was electric, I can feel him! I’m alive! Then I became aware of a beeping noise somewhere nearby, they must be my heartbeats. “Lucy, please.” He was pleading, his voice was strained. I could feel his tight grip on my arm and something wet, dripping on it. Tears. He’s still crying.

I don’t know what to do. I just want to reach out and stroke his hair and tell him that I’m ok. But am I ok? I don’t know.

“Leave.” Niall’s voice was commanding and rock hard.

“Mate, we want to make sure she’s ok too.” It was Louis, he too sounded worried and strained.

“I said leave.” Niall was unforgiving. Don’t, Niall, it’s ok, I wanted to tell him that. It’s alright if they want to stay too. There was a collective sigh and a sniffle somewhere but the footsteps slowly shuffled out the door and then it clicked shut.

I tried to test if I could open my eyes or move any part of my body but with no such luck. I felt like a rubber hose, lifeless and immobile.

“Lucy, I hope you can hear me,” he started. “If you can, I just want to say I love you and please don’t leave me. I can’t stand the thought of living the rest of my life without you, Luc. I need you. Just please, hold on and never let go. For me, baby?” Hot tears spilled on my arm and he squeezed my hand tightly in one of his own. I felt so angry and frustrated with myself. Why did I have to become like this? I’m making Niall suffer and he doesn’t deserve it, why am I being so cruel to him?

“Lucy, I promise I won’t ever leave your side. When you wake up, I’m going to be right here waiting to see your beautiful smile and your shining eyes again. I promise baby, so don’t leave, ok? Stay with me.” I promise too, Niall, I thought. If only he could just hear me, then he won’t have to worry so much.

Time crawled by. Has it been minutes? Hours? Either way, he didn’t let go of my hand and as more time passed, the door swung open again and in came footsteps. The boys are back.

“Niall, mate, wake up.” Harry. I’d missed his deep voice but right now, it was squeaky and uncertain, I set me on edge. I felt Niall stir beside me and groggily moaned.

“What is it?”

“Do you want to go or go home? You haven’t eaten all day mate, and you haven’t properly rested either,” Zayn’s voice was filled with concern. Niall hasn’t eaten all day? Oh baby, don’t torture yourself, I’m still going to be here when you come back. “Liam’s going to stay here so you can go.”

“No. I’m staying. Do me a favour lads, get me some spare clothes, will you?” You’re so stubborn, Niall. Just go home, I urged. But he couldn’t hear me, I am useless.

More sighs. “Alright, I’ll come back with them. I’ll get you some food as well, is that alright?” Liam was always so considerate.

“Ok.” Was all Niall said. The footsteps faded again and we were alone once more.

“I promise I won’t go, Lucy and I’m going to keep that promise but I need you to keep yours as well and never, ever leave me.” He breathed out heavily and pressed his lips on the back of my hand.