Chapter 48

It was the day of the BRITs and the nerves are running high. People all around us were madly dashing from place to place trying to get things organised and ready for the night. The nine of us plus the crew were all staying in a hotel closer to the venue and with only three hours left before the show starts, the boys were separated from us, girls, in order for us to get our hair and makeup done.

Currently, Dani, El, Lexi and I were sitting in a dressing room, waiting for the stylists to show up. “I still don’t get why they fuss about us when we’re not even the subjects of the show,” I mumbled.

“Well, we kind of are. I mean, we’re with the boys and people are going to pay attention to them. Sideline or not, we’re still entering with them,” Danielle replied.

“You gotta be honest though, this feels good. Just being pampered instead of us pampering other people,” Lexi said, grinning widely.

We all laughed. “True enough,” Eleanor piped up. “Besides, the BRITs is always fun. So many celebrities are present and you can mingle with them at the after party.”

I brightened up at the thought. “Awesome. I’m keen.” They giggled.

Just then a team of five came in and introduced themselves to us. They were going to be our hair and makeup artists. Without any more hassle, they got started on the four of us and we just sat patiently, still as possible, on our chairs as they told us to turn this way and that in order to get us prepped up. After a gruelling two hours later, they told us we were done and that we were ready for our dresses. I sighed in relief and carefully stretched out my arms and legs, stiff from sitting so still.

We all grinned excitedly at each other when the prep team came back with our dresses. Maria, my stylist, led me to a closed off dressing room and handed me my dress. I smiled at her and she smiled back, closing the door. I breathed deeply and hung the dress on a hook and I took off my robe. I took the dress and stepped into it. Niall’s “friend/designer” had turned up with this and I felt the smooth Italian silk wool material run against my legs. I slipped my arms through the capped sleeves and then opened the door and asked Maria to clasp the locks back in place for me.

Then I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled, I felt like a proper princess. The dress was a beautiful plum colour embellished with Swarovski crystals on the waist, the sleeves and the whole of the back. I twirled around once in front of the mirror before Maria handed me my shoes, clutch and jewellery for the night. I walked out of the dressing room to find the three other girls already dressed and smiling, also admiring their dresses.

Eleanor donned on a peacock colours silk satin gown with a daringly low back and crystals dotting the sleeves and waist. Danielle had on a very graceful grey gown on which was accessorized with a shawl and gold jewellery. Meanwhile, Alexis was dressed in a pastel mint green dress which was decorated with full length lace sleeves that matched the lace on the rest of the dress as well.

“Wow, you look beautiful,” I breathed out, in awe of the girls standing in front of me.

“And you’re just perfect,” Alexis said. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

“We should go meet the boys, the red carpet is opening soon,” Danielle reasoned out.

We all nodded and followed her outside and to the door of the boys’ dressing room. She knocked on the door and out came Harry, looking dashing in his black suit and bow tie. His eyes widened at the sight of us.

“You girls look beautiful.” He blushed slightly and let us in.

The boys were all still getting perfected but I saw Niall right away. He took my breath away, looking handsome in his suit and pencil tie. His eyes brightened when he saw me and rushed straight to my side.

“Hello princess, you look beautiful as always,” he complimented.

I blushed and smiled. “And you look very, very attractive. I hope you do well tonight, baby.”

He grinned, “Win or lose, it doesn’t matter. I’m just glad you’re here.”

 A few more minutes of bustling around and we were finally on our way. We were chauffeured in a limousine and arrived at the red carpet with numerous celebrities already getting photographed on their way in.

“Alright lads and ladies, are we all set?” Liam asked, smiling widely.

A loud cheer rocked the car and we all filed out, one by one, the boys assisting their own lady. As soon as we stepped out, flashes from cameras blinded me and questions were being shouted out. I slipped my arm through Niall’s and he squeezed it gently against his side. As a group, we posed for the cameras then the boys spoke to a few interviewers and finally, we made our way to our designated table inside the venue.

The event had started and silence fell in the room. A little while later and the boys’ first category was being announced. It was the British Album of the Year award and the nominees were classed high. They were up against people like Ed Sheeran and Adele. After moments of intense waiting, the presenter said, “And the winner is…” I could feel my heart pounding hard against my chest and my palms were sweating in nervousness. “One Direction!”

My jaw dropped. They won! They won! The boys jumped up from their seats and hugged each other before going up the stage and collecting their award. When they came back down, I grabbed Niall and kissed him on the lips. It was brief but was certainly filled with happiness. “Congratulations, baby! I knew you’d make it!”

He laughed. “Thanks, love. This is unbelievable.” He shook his head in amazement, casting a glance at the BRIT award on their table. “There’s still two more categories though.” He breathed deeply and continued to watch on.

An hour and a half later and the event was done. It was all over. The boys had collected two BRITs, winning the British Group award as well, but unfortunately losing the British Single award. However, the boys neither cared nor grieved over it since they were all so happy about winning at all!

We made our way through to another venue where the after party was being held and there, Niall introduced me to the most incredible singers and performers. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I was being treated so well, like I was one of them. Saying the night was amazing was an understatement because I had the best time in there. Niall never let me go and we danced the night away, celebrating the band’s success.