Chapter 44

A week had passed and I haven’t gone back to Niall. I avoided going out unless it was to go to work because I was afraid of getting seen. As I’d promised, I moved out Steph’s house the next morning but not after I explained to her what had really happened. She’d been understanding enough and was willing to let me stay but I insisted that I didn’t want to be a bother and that I needed time on my own so I left. I now stay in a little motel still with no intentions of going back.

Going to work was also something I’d been dreading because my colleagues knew about the whole ordeal. I guess that’s what I get for working in a magazine company. Anyway, I’d plainly requested my boss not to publish anything about the matter and she kindly agreed. I guess life continued on but they were extremely long days. This week really dragged on and on and I felt like it would never end.

I felt a bitter resentment towards myself for missing Niall so much. Every time I wasn’t busy, my mind would remind me of how much I longed for his comforting arms around me. The boys had stopped trying to reach me so I guess Danielle passed on the message but Niall still kept a continuous stream of calls in a desperate attempt to get hold of me but I blankly ignored them. Cruel as it sounds, I was only hoping to forget about the whole thing and move on. But no matter how hard I tried, it just wasn’t working.

Today was another Saturday and I was going insane from being locked inside for so long. I decided, against my protesting brain, to go out for a drive and see where it takes me. I grabbed my phone, keys and purse and made sure that I locked my door before getting into my car. For a while, I just let my mind wander while I drove through the streets, not really knowing where I was headed.

Eventually, I realised exactly where I was going and smiled at the thought. I parked my car and got out. I was at Regent’s Park. All the memories came flooding back and instead of feeling angry, I felt a huge wave of misery hit me and I knew what I had to do. I walked to the very same gazebo and sat down. I brought my feet up on the chair, bent my knees, rested my chin on them and wrapped my arms tightly around my shin. I looked out to the water of the lake and took a few deep breaths in an attempt to clear my head.

Later, I decided, I’m going to go back to Niall and apologise. I guess it was only right, right? I’d understand if he doesn’t take me back but I at least need to apologise, I owe him that much. I think this was what I’d been meaning to do all week but I’ve finally decided to actually go and do it. I sat around for a little while longer, just collecting my thoughts and gaining the peace I needed to sort myself out.

When the day turned to afternoon, I shifted in my seat and stood up. I stretched myself out and heaved a huge sigh. It’s time. I walked slowly back to my car, planning what to say in my head. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I’d failed to notice a shadow being casted, the person obviously leaning against my car. My heart pounded and my palms began to sweat. I approached my car more cautiously and stifled a gasp when I saw who it was.

“Niall?” I whispered, my breath getting caught in my throat.

“Lucy,” he said, looking relieved to see me. I looked at him up and down and felt a pang of guilt when I saw his haggard state. His eyes were red and puffy, his skin was blotchy and his hair was messier than usual. He looked tired, to say the least.

“What are you doing here? How did you find me?” I asked, amazed.

“Guess we both had the same idea. I found your car by chance and figured you’re bound to come back to it, so I waited. Let me just say this first before you run away again. I’m sorry Lucy. I truly am. I miss you and I want you back. That whole thing was a mistake and I should have told you right after it happened. I’m sorry and I’d understand if you never want to see me again,” he gushed out, his voice quavering.

I looked at him, stunned. Then without warning, my feet carried me towards him and I found myself wrapping my arms around him and squeezing him tightly. I felt him gave a huge sigh of relief and put his arms around me too, kissing the top of my head. Tears spilled out of my eyes and onto his shirt.

He tilted my chin up and kissed me on the lips and I kissed him back. I felt all the pain go away and was replaced by a warm and cosy feeling. He pulled away and wiped away my tears. “I know I caused you this pain but know that I’ll always be here to wipe away your tears. I don’t want to fight you, Lucy. I love you so much, even if I act like such a jerk sometimes,” he said.

I shook my head. “Please stop apologising because I’m the one who needs to be saying sorry. I’m sorry for being stubborn. I’m sorry for being so ignorant and for not listening to your explanations. I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions and leaving you behind. And I’m sorry I’m such a failure of a girlfriend.” The words all rushed out of my mouth and I buried my head in his chest, letting out a few more tears.

He hugged me tightly and rested his chin on my head. “It wasn’t your fault. Breathe Luc, we’ll be ok, I promise. I’m just glad I have you back. Please, don’t ever do that again. If I ever do something wrong, just shout at me or hurt me, anything else but please don’t leave me like that again. I was going insane trying to find out where you were and if you were ok.”

I nodded against his chest. “I’m sorry I made you worry so much.” I looked up at him and he wiped away my tears again. Then he smiled at me and there was a joyful feeling that ran through my body as I smiled back at him.

“Should we go back to our house?” he asked.

I nodded. “I’ve gotta get my stuff from the motel though. Did you bring your car?” He nodded. “I’ll follow you home then.”

“Ok, see you soon, baby.” He pecked my lips and walked to his car and left.

I rushed back to my motel room, hastily packed my things, checked everything was with me then I handed the keys back to the manager and drove home. Niall opened the door widely for me, taking my bag off my hands and carrying it back to our room before coming back and pulling me to the sofa.

He settled us both down and pushed my head back to his chest. “You look tired baby,” he commented.

“Huh, I don’t think I compare to you. You need to sleep,” I murmured softly.

He tightened his grip on my stomach. “How ‘bout we sleep together then.”

I giggled. “Sounds good to me,” I said, then let out a huge yawn. He turned us both on our sides and I curled into his body and felt his breathing level out, his soft snores lulling me to sleep too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanna say a massive HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY TO ONE DIRECTION!! Hahah anyways, hope you guys enjoyed and keep those comments and votes coming! Woop! x