Chapter 35

When I got to Regent’s park, I retraced our steps from months ago, to find the gazebo he was talking about. Just as he promised, there was another envelope on the table.

This time, the note read:

Hey again, Lucy. I hope you’re not getting frustrated. I swear you’re almost there. I hope you like the view in daylight as much as you did when it was dark. Anyway, that’s not really the point of you being here. The point is, I just love seeing how beautiful you are in this place so I thought I’d bring you back here. Feel free to relive that day while you’re at it, love.

If you don’t want to stay here for long, that’s ok. Someone happened to mention to me that you love plays and ballets. Drive to the Royal Opera House, I left instructions on the other side of this note so you can get there. When you do get there, just go straight inside the main doors.

I’ll be waiting.

I love you, Lucy. To infinity and beyond, baby.

Love,

Niall

It dawned on me then that the reason I was dressed up so fancy was because he was taking me to the Opera House. I grinned like an idiot because he is a hundred percent right, I am in love with plays. Once again, I pulled out of the parking lot and followed his instructions. I can’t wait to see Niall!

When I got there, I took a few deep breaths then walked to the entrance. I gasped when I walked inside. There was Niall, standing and waiting patiently by the entrance to the theatre, wearing a long-sleeved white, button up shirt, black formal pants with matching formal shoes and a slim black tie hung around his neck. I grinned at him and he smiled slyly, bowing his head. I walked towards him and he hugged me tightly.

“Happy first anniversary, love. You look stunning by the way, that dress looks better than I could ever have imagined,” he said softly.

“Happy anniversary to you too, baby. And thank you, I love the dress too. I can’t believe you didn’t pick me up at the airport though!” He chuckled. “Jerk,” I added.

“Hey! You know you love me,” he said, winking at me.

I slipped my hand through his arm and just laughed. “Thanks for bringing me here, by the way. You’re right, I love watching live performances.”

He smiled at me, “It’s not any other performance, it’s Romeo and Juliet the Ballet.”

I gasped, “Niall! I’ve wanted to see this since I was 10!”

He laughed, “I know, love. Well, I hope you enjoy, we have seats on the front row.”

I gaped at him, “How did you manage that?”

“Oh love, don’t underestimate the power of the Irish,” he chuckled. “Kidding, shall we just enjoy the show?” I nodded and he led us to our seats.

The play was incredible, to say the least. I mean, the dancers were perfect! They moved with such fluidity that I was questioning if it was even normal. Niall had sat quietly through it too and I was surprised because he would usually fidget and talk or even fall asleep, but he sat through it with a hand on top of mine, eyes locked to the performance on stage.

"M'lady," Niall said, extending his hand to me.

"Niall," I said bluntly, taking his hand. We both burst into laughter, gaining a few accusing looks from elderly people which just made us giggle even more.

We walked out of the theatre and was surprised by how dark it was. I didn't realise how long we'd been in there, it was already 6 pm! "We're going out for dinner, come on," he said, leading me away from the theatre.

"Is this finally the black tie affair date?" I asked, suspiciously.

He chuckled, "Guess so. We haven't had one yet so I suppose our first year anniversary is the perfect time for one."

I nodded, "You have perfect timing, baby. By the way, thank you so much for taking me to see the ballet. I loved it so much."

"I'm glad you did. I'm had a good time too, believe it or not," he chuckled, squeezing my hand.

"Oh I noticed. You were so quiet and still, I was beginning to worry you'd been replaced by an alien or something," I joked.

"Hey!" he protested. "I can be serious sometimes too, you know."

I laughed, "I know, Niall."

He huffed and stepped in front of a fancy restaurant. A young man opened it for us and brightly welcomed us in. After a few minutes of browsing through a menu I didn't understand, we ordered our food and waited patiently for it to come out.

"Thanks for the meal, baby. The food tasted great!" I smiled, taking his hand.

He led me back outside and smiled back at me. "Mm, I loved it too. But I think we can both agree on saying that those kind of restaurants are just no fun." He pouted slightly.

I laughed, "I thought I was the only one. I think we should save those restaurants for Liam and Danielle."

He laughed as well. "Come on, let's relax, it's been quite a tense day."

Since the Royal Opera House is situated in the Covent Garden, he led me back towards it and to a peaceful spot in the park nearby. He plopped down on the grass and I sat down beside him. He pulled me close to his chest and kissed the top of my head.

"You're beautiful, Lucy," he whispered.

"And you're very handsome, Niall," I giggled.

He sighed and laid us both down on the soft grass beneath us, putting an arm underneath my head to support it. I looked up at the sky and was stunned by the amount of stars that shone brightly. It was beautiful and I've forgotten how magnificent the night sky really is.

I sighed contently and snuggled up closer to Niall. "Thank you, once again for managing to stun me with nature's beauty. It's absolutely perfect and I haven't done this in a long, long time."

He chuckled, "Don't thank me, thank mother nature for that. But, you deserve the best, Luc, you really do."

"Well, if you say so, then I deserve only you." I sighed then I turned to face him. "Niall, you really don't have to try so hard to please me. I'm not like some high maintenance girl, well at least I hope not." He chuckled. "All I need and want is you by my side and I can die a happy woman," I joked.

He turned his head towards me and kissed my nose. "You, Ms. Lucy, are perfect and I love you."

We both laughed and laid back down on our backs to stare up at the starry night sky.