Chapter 2

A tear slid slowly down my face as I trained my eyes on the screen, a dramatic scene unfolding. It's Friday night, my parents are out and my best friend, Alexis and I settled on a movie marathon instead of going out partying like the rest of our batch mates from uni. Currently, we were watching Charlie St. Cloud, both our favourite.

I'm glad I met Alexis, she's so nice and friendly! She's dead pretty too, so I'm mostly just her shadow, but I don't mind. She had medium length dark brown hair that sat perfectly straight down her back, green eyes, perfect smile and the perfect body standing at 5'7.

I remember the day we met, she just sat down next me at my very first lecture in uni last year and introduced herself boldly. Since then, we were practically attached at the hip.

My thoughts and tears were disrupted by a tri-tone that rang from my laptop, telling me I had a new message. I looked down at the screen and opened the new tab. It was James.

"It's not that creepy lover boy from Ireland again, is it, Luc?" I could practically imagine Alexis rolling her eyes at me.

I giggled, "Shh, just keep watching, Lex."

She sighed but made no further comment. I decided to tell her about "James" because I couldn't keep the excitement to myself. She seemed as intrigued as I am but she keeps warning me against him, saying that he's probably a pedo or something. Not like the thought hadn't crossed my mind before.

I looked down at the message again.

Irish93: Sup, Liz! Friday night over there, no party?

Mase101: Ugh, I don't like parties, James. What's happening with you?

Irish93: Haha! What a shame, I heard Aussies throw mad parties. And not much, day off work today.

Mase101: "Mad" isn't my thing. You know, James, I still can't believe you work. You sure you're only 19?

Irish93: Sure am! Just maybe not your ordinary 19-year-old.

I rolled my eyes, here we go again with the cryptic messages.

Mase101: Is it soon yet? You keep telling me that you're going to explain "soon".

Irish93: Actually, good thing you brought that up. "Soon" maybe sooner than you think, Liz.

My mind and heart raced.

Mase101: What do you mean?

Irish93: I'm headed to Australia.

I gasped. Could this be real?

"What is it, Lucy?" Alexis asked, sounding worried.

I shook my head, "It's nothing, just remembered something random." I decided to lie for now, I'll tell her eventually, I just needed to know for sure first.

My hands started shaking slightly as I typed in my next message.

Mase101: Is this a joke?

Irish93: Nope. I'm headed there next week, in fact. :D

My heart pounded louder.

Mase101: Hard to believe but let's say you're being truthful, how does this help?

Irish93: Haha, isn't it obvious, Liz? We can meet up! Finally!

My mind spun with the thought of the possibility. Am I ready to meet mystery guy?

Mase101: Very funny, James. How are you going to find me?

Irish93: Leave it to me. But do you trust me enough to meet me?

Am I? Am I really that foolish to meet a stranger that I've met online?

Mase101: To be honest, I don't know. I'll think about it and I'll let you know soon.

Irish93: I promise I'm not a pedo, haha. But sure, tell me when you've decided. Have a nice night, love! xx

Mase101: Bye, J. xx

"He did not just invite you to meet him." I jumped at the voice. I didn't realise Lexi was reading over my shoulder.

"Jesus Lexi! Don't sneak up on me like that." I controlled my breathing and slowly got my heart to slow down.

"Luc, you don't even know the guy! What if he turns out to be a psycho kidnapper or something?" her eyebrows knitted with concern.

"I know, Lex. I've thought about all those before, trust me. I'm not as dull as you think," I joked. "Besides, I haven't even said yes yet."

"Alright, but if he does turn out to be a creeper, I have the right to say 'I told you so'."

I laughed, "Deal! Now can we get back to the movie? This is a good part."

She clucked her tongue at me but did as I said. I popped some popcorn in my mouth, my eyes back to the TV but my mind was still on James.

Should I take a chance? Do I want to meet James? That's easy, of course I want to meet him. The real question is, do you trust him enough to meet him? I'm not really sure. Right now, curiosity is clawing out, screaming that I have to go, that I should meet him.

My hands are sweating, I feel nervous just thinking about meeting him. What would he be like in real life? Is he as nice and funny as he is behind his screen? My questions will finally be answered if I agree to meet him. I'll finally get to know who he really is. I've been yearning to see his face the moment we started talking. Meeting him would satisfy all that.

With that thought, I'd decided. I'm going to meet James.