Chapter 49

It was mine and Niall’s last day together until he’s free to see me again. Both of us just lugged around the house, making whatever excuse we could to be in each other’s presence for the whole day. We’d finished packing our bags and they stood quite dauntingly beside the door of our room and without much else to do, we both got into bed for an early night in, in each other’s arms.

“I don’t want to go, Niall,” I confessed, pressing myself against his body.

“Neither do I Luc but it’ll be ok. Remember that we’ve done this before and we made it through ok,” he said soothingly.

“Guess we did but I’m going to be away from home this time. I’m a little scared.” I felt embarrassed for admitting this but I knew I needed to get it out or it’ll be much harder for me tomorrow.

“You don’t need to be scared, you’ll be with Steph and you can meet new people when you get there. Trust me, I bet that by the end of this month, you won’t even miss me anymore,” he joked.

I giggled. “Of course I’ll miss you. What a stupid thing to say, baby.”

He chuckled, his body shaking behind me. “I’ll miss you too, Luc.” He sighed in my hair. “Let’s go to sleep, we’ve both got early flights tomorrow.”

I nodded. “Ok,” I whispered.

I just lay there, tightly wrapped in his arms, my head in his chest, trying not to fall asleep. I didn’t want to waste the few hours we have left together and I knew that he was still awake too. Time went past, I don’t know how much time but still we were both awake. Finally, I the rhythmic movement of his chest was slowly driving me to sleep and I couldn’t fight it anymore. I closed my eyes and just before I gave in to unconsciousness, Niall began singing softly in my ear.

“Here I am waiting, I'll have to leave soon
Why am I holding on?
We knew this day would come, we knew it all along
How did it come so fast?” his voice was barely above a whisper but I recognised the song. It was Daylight by Maroon 5.

“This is our last night but it's late
And I'm trying not to sleep
Cause I know, when I wake, I will have to slip away”

“And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close”

“Here I am staring at your perfection
In my arms, so beautiful
The sky is getting bright, the stars are burning out
Somebody slow it down”

His voice was so angelic. I strained to keep myself awake to hear the rest of the song and he tightened his grip around me and continued to sing.

“This is way too hard, cause I know
When the sun comes up, I will leave
This is my last glance that will soon be memory”

“And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close”

He yawned quietly and I suppressed a giggle.

“I never wanted to stop because I don't wanna start all over, start all over,
I was afraid of the dark but now it's all that I want, all that I want, all that I want”

“And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close”

“And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close”

As he finished the song, he breathed deeply and snuggled himself closer to me as if he too, wanted me to melt in his arms and stay here forever. Then I felt his breathing level out and I knew that he’d finally given in to sleep. I closed my eyes, took hold of his arms and fell into a peaceful sleep.

“Lucy baby, wake up.” Niall’s voice filled my ears. I groaned and he chuckled. “Come on baby, it’s 6 am, you’re gonna miss your flight if you don’t get out of here.”

I silently cursed my boss for booking such an early flight. Still, I held on to Niall’s arms and pulled him closer to me. “I don’t want to go anymore. I’ll just stay here,” I mumbled softly.

“You know you can’t do that Luc. You’ve gotta go. In fact, we both have to go. Now quick, get dressed and we can just eat cereal for breakfast,” he urged. I felt like laughing at this whole situation because it was usually the reverse. It would always be me trying to convince Niall to get up and get ready but I guess there’s a first for everything.

“Few more minutes, baby.” That was a lie, I would spend the rest of my life in this bed if that meant being able to stay with Niall.

“I warned you,” he replied and he took his arms from my grip. For a second I felt lonely, is he really going to leave me behind?

I didn’t even need to voice the question out loud since I was suddenly being lifted from the bed. My eyes flew open and my body went rigid. “Niall!” I protested.

“I told you to get up, love, but you wouldn’t so I got you up,” he said nonchalant.

He deposited me into a chair and quickly gathered breakfast. We ate in comfortable silence then both raced into separate bathrooms to get ready. Once we were done, we lugged our suitcases out of the house and called a taxi to pick us up.

Without Alexis there to force me away from the boys at the airport, I found it much harder to tear myself away from them but I had no other choice. I joined Steph at our boarding gate and without further ado, we got on to the plane and were off to America.