Chapter 24

I clutched the side of my face with my hand while I hastily wiped my tears with the other. What that girl said was uncalled for but it made me wonder if it’s true.

I heard footsteps running towards me and suddenly, I was embraced in a pair of arms.

“Shh,” Lexi said, rubbing my back. She guided me towards the exit then stopped when we got outside. “Lucy, babe, that girl was nothing more than a mean bitch. Come on, girl, you know none of it is true.”

I leant my head on her shoulder and sobbed. “How would you know, Lex? She’s right about me being a nobody, how would you know that Niall just doesn’t put this all up as an act?”

“Don’t you dare think like that, Lucy. You know Niall yourself. If you believe that girl then you’re agreeing that Niall is nothing but a heartless guy and you know that’s not true. Besides, you’re not a nobody, you’re the most amazing girl in the world and people know it,” she lectured. “Now, let me see your cheek.”

I shook my head and bowed my head down but she grabbed the hand that I was using to cover it up and yanked it away. She gasped at the sight of it and I winced. It must be swelled up and red by now, that was sure to leave a bruise. “Come on, Luc, let’s head back and we can take care of that at the hotel.”

She flagged down a taxi and told the driver the name of our hotel. Throughout the ride, she hugged me tightly as I fought to control the tears that were threatening to spill. I still couldn’t believe how much the girl’s words stung. I knew I wasn’t the prettiest girl in the world and she picked out my biggest insecurity, that I’m not pretty enough for Niall.

When the doors of the hotel opened, I heard the voice that I was dreading to hear. Niall’s. I could tell he was with Harry because  I heard both of them speak when we went inside. Then their chatter stopped and I buried myself further into Alexis’ shoulder, hoping I could disappear.

“Jesus, Luc. What happened?” Niall’s voice was frantic.

“Alexis, what’s going on? We’ve been waiting for you to come back since neither of you had phones,” Harry said, equally as worried.

I felt her stiffen, not knowing what to do. Finally, I couldn’t hold back the tears, so I tore myself from Lexi’s grip and ran out the front doors again and onto the street. I stopped after several meters because I was blinded by my tears and buried my face in my hands. I just hoped no one would follow me but I had no such luck. Once again, I felt myself being wrapped in someone’s arms and this time, I knew it was Niall.

I leant my head against his chest and cried. I felt him step away from me and held my shoulders. “Lucy, what’s wrong?” he asked, his voice strained. I just shook my head. “Well then let me see your face, at least.” I shook my head again. He sighed and, like Alexis, pried my hand away from my face.

“Lucy! Who did this to you?” he said, outraged.

I looked up at him, feeling helpless. “It was no one. Just an accident,” I lied.

“First, you wouldn’t be crying like this if it was just an accident and second, an accident wouldn’t have put a hand print on your cheek.” He was seething with anger, his face growing red.

“Niall, it’s ok. I’m fine, I’m just over reacting,” I said, trying to calm my voice.

“No, Lucy. It’s not ok! I don’t want to see you hurt or crying. Just please tell me what happened,” his voice was pleading.

“I will if only you promise not to do anything about it, alright?” I wiped my tears away, slightly wincing when I touched my cheek.

“Fine.”

I sighed deeply then told him about the girl, what she said and then what she did. When I finished, his face was flushed with anger but he too breathed deeply before tucking me tightly to his chest. He rubbed comforting circles on my back and kissed the top of my head.

“Lucy, she was just a jealous fan. None of what she said is true. You are most certainly not ugly, or worthless or a bitch. In fact, you’re the most beautiful girl in the world. You’re smart, kind and you mean the world to me.” He pressed his cheek on my temple and squeezed me tight. “Don’t listen to what she said. You’re perfect the way you are and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If you don’t believe me, ask the lads, ask Alexis, ask anyone and they’d agree with me. I love you, Lucy, please know that.”

I sighed in his chest again. “Why’ve you gotta be so perfect, Niall?”

He chuckled softly in my ear and said, “I’m Irish, love. Now come on, let’s get ice on that cheek.”

We broke off from our hug and held my hand securely in his. He led me back up to my room where Alexis and Harry were waiting tensely on the couch. When he saw us walk in, they both released a breath before Alexis ran to the kitchen and grabbed me an icepack. Niall and I sat next to Harry and I pressed the ice against my cheek, wincing at the sharp pain.

Harry pulled me into a quick hug and said, “You’re a beautiful girl, Luc. That girl spoke complete rubbish, just forget about it.”

I smiled at him before sneaking a glance at Niall who mouthed, “I told you so” before pulling me to his chest and wrapping his arms around my stomach.