Chapter 5

Today is the 26th. Breathe, Lucy, breathe, I told myself repeatedly. I couldn’t stop pacing around my living room, I was just so nervous! In just a few hours, I’m finally going to be able to meet James, the mystery guy that I had poured my heart out to this past month or so. My mind was going into overdrive. Is this still a good idea? What if he doesn’t turn up?

Three sudden raps on the front door sent my heart into haywire. I wrenched it open and there stood my best friend, in all her glory, smiling at me. Then she started laughing, so hard that she had to hold on to the frame for support.

“What’s so funny, Lex?” I asked, confused.

“Oh my god, you should have seen your face!” she choked out in between fits of giggles.

“What’s wrong with my face?”

“Nothing!” she burst into laughter again. “But you just looked so relieved to see me, it was hilarious!”

I rolled my eyes and clucked my tongue impatiently at her. “Are you coming in or not?”

She rolled her eyes back at me, “Of course I am! Do you want me to help you get ready or not?”

I poked my tongue out at her like a little kid but opened the door wider to let her in. We both raced up to my room and sat on my bed.

“Lex, I don’t know if I want to go anymore,” I sighed, leaning my head against her shoulder.

“Lucy Elizabeth Mason, look at me right now,” she ordered, her voice stern but playful. I looked her in the eyes, her face was filled with – was it excitement? I couldn’t tell. “Luc, you’ve been talking to this guy for the past month, every single day, without fail. I’m willing to bet my life and say that you’ve told him secrets even I don’t know about.” I blushed when she said this. It’s true. If she noticed my blush, she didn’t let on, “This guy is flying all the way from Europe and I’ve never seen you so excited when he told you he wanted to meet up with you. Don’t let yourself down, don’t let him down!”

I sighed again, but nodded. She was right, all of it. “I still don’t get what made you change your mind. You were so opposed to me meeting him and now you’re the one urging me to go.”

She laughed, “I’m your best friend, besides I might know more than you do.” She wiggled her eyebrows playfully at me.

I rolled my eyes, “Sure you do.”

“Exactly right!” she said, ignoring the sarcasm in my voice. “Now hurry up and hit the showers, you’ve got two hours till you need to be there!”

Two hours?! It would take me half an hour to get there! If I didn’t move now, I’d be late. The thought made me jump up and rush. “Lex, will you be kind enough to help me pick out an outfit?”

She laughed, “You didn’t have to ask. Now go!”

The shower was nothing short of relaxing. I cleared my mind of all worries and let my muscles loose. I lathered myself until my hair and skin felt silky smooth, then I got out of the shower and wrapped myself in a towel. When I got out of the bathroom, I saw that Alexis hadn’t wasted time in picking out something for me to wear. There were about five outfits laid out on my bed.

“Thanks Lex,” I said, grinning at her.

She waved it off, “Which one do you want?”

I looked at each of them in turn, I didn’t want to seem too over dressed or under dressed. First impressions are crucial, even if it is only a guy. It also gets cold at the city, so I need something warm.

I’d decided to go casual, just like how I’d dress for uni if I could be bothered to fix myself up. I chuckled to myself. “I like this one,” I said to Lexi, smiling.

“Yay! I like that one the best too.”

So I got dressed into a simple dark floral print dress, with a black leather jacket over it and a pair of black and white flats that matched the colours of my dress. Lexi blow dried and combed my hair and then she straightened it out just enough to get rid of the waves. She and I argued about make up before I finally gave in and let her put a bit of foundation and blush on my face. Ugh, I hate make up.

An hour later and I was all done and ready to go. I looked myself over in the mirror and hoped that I wasn’t too over done. I grabbed a small white bag and filled it with my phone, purse and iPod and then headed downstairs.

“Oh wait!” Lexi called out. I stepped back into my room and saw her holding a white knit beret and placed it on my head. “Ok, all done. Let’s go!”

I laughed at her. “Thanks a lot, Lexi. I really appreciate it.”

She giggled, “Anything for my girl.” She winked. “Now go, you don’t want to be late.”

She and I both got into our separate cars and I saw her head to the direction of her house before I stepped on the gas, headed towards the city. This is it, I thought. I took a deep breath and kept my eyes on the road.

Another half an hour later and I was there, my heart pounding loudly and my mind spinning in dizzying circles. I stood by the water and looked at my watch. It’s 10 minutes to 4. I sat down on the grass, careful not to flash anyone and plugged my earphones in. He said he know what I look like, I wonder if he’ll recognise me. My mind raced with possibilities but my music helped me keep my calm and not run away.

A hand touched my shoulder and I jumped up, surprised. My heart was beating extremely fast as I turned to see who it was. I had to control my mouth to keep it from hanging open. He was gorgeous, he had dirty bleached blond hair, stunning blue eyes and a smile that showed off his braced teeth. He was wearing a blue and red plaid shirt, with khaki coloured pants, white Supras and a white knit scarf hung around his neck.

He stretched his hand out and I took it, he was surprisingly strong as he helped me stand up. I brushed myself off before looking back at him.

“I believe you’re Liz, am I right?” he spoke with such a strong Irish accent, it made me think of home. Back when I was a kid, before I moved to Australia. I nodded, incredible. He did recognise me. “Nice to finally meet you, Liz. Or should I call you a different name now?” he asked cautiously, as if he didn’t want to scare me away but there was a hint of knowledge behind his words.

I breathed in deeply, then I spoke out. “Liz is still fine, but my real name is Lucy. Liz is just short for my middle name,” I spoke nervously. Then I added, “James.”

His smile grew wider and I had such a weird feeling that I knew who he was. I just couldn’t place a name on his face.

“James is my middle name too,” he spoke calmly but with a hint of expectancy, as if I should know this. Then he continued on, “My real name is Niall.”

I gasped.