Chapter 30

We were all getting dressed in the suits the place provided and excitement was running through the whole group. The boys and Alexis were more than thrilled to play and so here we all were. As a treat, Niall paid for the whole group and since he wants to go all out, we were all loaded with a thousand pellets, more than enough to last us the whole game.

There were about thirty people there and there were fifteen on each side. The seven of us split up and Harry, Alexis, Louis and Zayn went on the other team while Niall and Liam stuck by me. We donned on our facemasks and then it was game time.

The four on the other team, shot us playful glares and Louis said, “You’re going down” in a threatening voice.

Liam defended us and said, “Not on my watch we’re not.”

I laughed and broke them off. “Guys, guys, let the guns talk. Shall we?”

They shot each other a last glare before walking away in the opposite direction. Niall just stayed quiet and put his arm around my waist and together, all three of us followed the rest of our group into the woods and got into position. Our instructor told us that our goal was to infiltrate the other group’s camp and that to win, we had to press a button that raises a flag. Both teams have the same aim and the first group to raise the opposition’s flag wins.

There was a minute or so of silence then the whistle blew loud and clear, signalling the start of the game. Immediately, I turned to Niall and said, “See you later baby.” Then I kissed him on the top of his head since that was the only part that wasn’t masked, and ran.

“Not so fast, princess. I’m not going to let you get away from me that fast.” Surprised, I saw Niall running beside me to my left and Liam on my right.

I laughed, “If you say so! Now let’s take the other team down, yea?”

Both boys cheered and the three of us sprinted closer and closer to the other team’s base. About a hundred meters from our target, we crouched down behind logs because they other team was firing like maniacs at us. We all looked at each other and grinned then split ways, Liam jumped up and took the middle, I was on the right and Niall was on the left and we all took our first shots.

I aimed my gun at that unmistakable mop of curls and open fired. After about ten bullets, he looked around confused, not knowing who shot him and raised his gun up in the air, signalling that he has been hit. I sat back down and laughed loudly, high-fiving Liam and Niall.

The game continued on for another half an hour since every time someone came close to getting to the button, that person got shot. Finally, I saw an opening, a straight path to the button. Without hesitation, I sprinted my way through, ducking my head avoiding bullets, my heart pounding loudly and my palms sweating like crazy. A few seconds later and my hand slammed down on the button and the flag popped up. There were cheers and shouts and I found myself being patted on the shoulder.

I found my way back to Liam and Niall who lifted me up and spun me around. “That’s my girl,” Niall said, proudly then kissing me on the lips.

“Wow, you’re a fast sprinter, Luc. That was genius!” Liam praised.

I laughed. “Oh, I wonder where those four are.”

Just as I said it, I spotted them a little way over, looking at us and grinning. Then they came running and Louis was the first to reach us.

“Damn girl! You got some legs,” he said.

“You bet Lou. I told you I’d take you down.”  I poked my tongue out at him and he glared jokingly at me in response.

After a few minutes of regrouping, we all went back to our bases to start the next game. This time, our aim was to take down every member of the opposing team. The rules are, that our team, the ones with green masks, are allowed to get back into the game even if we get shot, given that we walk back to a checkpoint first. The other team, the ones with the black masks, are not, which means that once they get shot, they’re out of the game until it ends. We have fifteen minutes to shoot every opposing member and if we’re successful, we win, if we’re not, they win. After the fifteen minutes is up, we swap roles and they get to attack us.

Once again, our instructor told us where the boundaries are set some other extra tips and rules. A few seconds later and the whistle blew again. Immediately, Niall and Liam were running beside me and we hid behind a tree, close to the opponents and just sent bullets flying. None of us talked and just a few shouts of ‘yes’s’ told us that one of us shot a person. I looked around to see if I could get any closer and found a barrack just a few meters away. I looked back up again to see if anyone was shooting at us and when I thought it was clear, I ran.

Unfortunately, my legs weren’t fast enough this time. A bullet hit me squarely on my left arm and took me by surprise. It was stunned me how painful the shot was, it stung excruciatingly for a few seconds then it was replaced by a bruising sensation. Disappointed, I walked up to the checkpoint but before I even got a few steps ahead, Niall pulled me back and looked at me worriedly.

“Are you ok?” he was breathing heavily and his eyes searched mine.

I chuckled, “I’m fine. It hurts though so please don’t touch it. I’ll see ya later.”

He breathed a sigh of relief and let me go. The check point was quite far and by the time I got there, the whistle signalled that it was the end of the fifteen minutes. I walked back down to Liam and Niall and we all headed to the other side to assume new positions.

Three and a half hours later and we were all dripping with sweat and panting like crazy. We all sat down on the benches and just drank water. After we had all settled down from the hype, we took off the jumpsuits and handed them back. I laughed at the group, seeing that we were all dotted with bruises. It has been a good day and I enjoyed my first time playing paintball. I have got to say that this has been the best birthday I’ve ever had and I’m glad that I got to spend it with the people I love the most.

***

We’d all gone back to our respective houses to shower and get freshened up again. It was mid afternoon and the summer sun just isn’t letting up, it was boiling! After showering, I got dressed up in another outfit and not long after, the boys and Alexis were back in my house.

We’d all settled down on my couch when Niall tugged on my hand and asked me to go outside with him. He led me to the bench and we both sat down. “Happy Birthday again, love,” he said, handing me a small, wrapped box.

I frowned and opened the lid. I looked back up at him and grinned widely. “Thank you so much, Niall. It’s perfect.”

He smiled, “I’m glad you like it. Now we match.” He had given me a white gold necklace with an infinity symbol charm. I turned it over on the palm of my hand and saw that he had engraved with it “I love you” on the band. I smiled up at him again and then he reached for something on his neck and pulled it out. He’d turned the pick that I gave him into a charm which now hung around his neck.

I giggled and handed the necklace back to him. He secured it around my neck then kissed my cheek. “I love you, Lucy. To infinity and beyond,” he whispered, quoting Toy Story.

“To infinity and beyond, Nialler,” I echoed him and kissed him fully on the lips.