xvi.

THE BEAST NETWORK
Exclusive Story Sneak Peek!

It's the first day of school at Westbrooks High, and it was the most problematic day of the school year — as always.

"First day is club day, my friends! Come on over to join the Hamburger Club!" A pudgy boy that seemed to be one of the higher years threw around fliers that smelled a lot like ham, and Violet skillfully avoided it.

She walked with her head down while carefully avoiding the violent sea of people that was called students. She knew from first day on that she was going to absolutely hate the rest of the year, like always.

"Miss Violet! Glad to see you enjoying the first day!" Mr. Higgins hollered, the school dean, and it took everything in her not to go the other way.

She shyly smiled and tucked a hair behind her ear. "Definitely, Mr. Higgins."

"Any clubs you have an eye for yet?"

Before she could respond, an annoying voice she knew all too well caught both of their attention.

There it was, Zachary with his annoying parade of boys who think they own the school since everybody knew who they were: one's a singer, one's famous for modelling, and Zachary was the best dancer.

"I doubt she'll be joining clubs this time, Mr. Higgins," he slung an arm around the School President, "she ditched all the clubs last year. Amirite, Vi?"

The girl blushed but let a sneer replace her lips. "Watch it, Zachary. I see that you've got another one under your wing."

The new boy that joined Zachary's band came forward with his hand outstretched. He looked friendly enough but Violet just doesn't play with anyone.

"I'm Devin, and how about you?"

Suddenly, the school nerd tripped on Devin's foot when he came forward and dropped on the floor with the thud along his things. Aldrin's papers and notebook scattered along the floor like a total mess.

Devin gasped and immediately dropped down, "man, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there."

"Nerds are such clumsy dorks." Zachary rolled his eyes while Ethan and Hayden chuckled. "Watch where you're going, Four Eyes."

It was Violet's perfect chance to flee the scene but suddenly, the school princesses shoved her out of the way and she almost fell on Zachary.

"I'm so excited for the cheerleading season this year! It's going to be great!" Alissa, one of the school princesses, squealed but an annoyed look passed over her face when she bumped into Violet. "Get out of the way, loser goth."

"Hey, don't be mean, Lis." Calea, the nicer one of the two, chided and offered a sweet smile in Violet's way. "I'm so sorry Vi, we weren't looking in the way. And hey Zachary."

"Hey, Cal." Even though Violet's back was faced to him, she knew he was smiling. The school shipped them for a reason that Violet never understood. They were too mainstream, too cliché, too overrated, and she can only roll her eyes.

"Say it to my face, why don't you?!"

On the other end of the hallway, Kush started her day off by flipping people off who wouldn't stop gossiping about her mishaps last year.

"C'mon, sis, it's not worth it." Mila always kept her in place, and Kush would always listen. Mila was younger and something about her always made Kush calm down despite the age difference.

Kush gave the already scared group of girls one last vicious look, and then she let Mila drag her off to wherever they had to be.

The two walked off, heading to the destination they knew all too well: the school's dance studio where the dance club would be.

Janelle Ginestra, the head of the dance club, was already there waiting for people to come in. There were already a select few going for the auditions so the duo went right in to find a spot.

Later on, Zachary entered with Devin, and they immediately went to the rest of their friends. In Zach's words, this was his known turf and he would always be here.

The shy Aldrin, who always joined Mathletes, suddenly showed up and everyone couldn't stop but get gasp at the appearance of the glassy-eyes boy at the doorstep.

"Shut up! Everyone's so dramatic this early." Kush snapped, glaring at everyone who dared talk again.

Later on, everyone got shocked again, including Kush, when the the two queen bees suddenly showed up by the door with sour and stormy faces.

"Are you lost? The cheerleading tryouts are back outside in the field?" Kush sardonically said, her nerves being set off by the mere presence of the two famous people at school.

"Shut the hell up, Kush. It's not like we wanted to be here!" Alissa retorted, her eyes flaring at the sight of the careless and feisty girl.

Kush was about to stand up but Janelle immediately went in between them and sighed, "let's not ruin the first day, ladies. Calea, Alissa, take a seat. Coach Melbourne told me about this already."

With a huff, the meaner blonde huffed as she stormed over to her seat while Calea offered them an apologetic smile.

"Is this everyone already?" Janelle announced, her eyes scanning the fair amount of people around the room.

"Nope." Everyone turned their heads to the door, and there it stood, the school's quiet goth girl, with her head bowed down and her voice small while the school's most bullied, Samuel, stood beside her, unsure. "Is it too late?"

"I can't wait to feel second hand embarrassment with this one." Zachary piped up, highfiving Devin. "The two fall outs? Nice."

"Be nice, Zach," Janelle snapped at the boy, "c'mon in, two of you. Great to see you, Sam and Violet!"

"Thank you, Miss Janelle," Samuel whispered as they both took a seat on the floor.

Violet shot a glare in Zachary's direction, and the boy returned a wink. She shot him an annoyed stare and turned back to the front where Janelle stood, talking.

"I guess this is everyone." She regarded everyone with a smile, and everyone replied with 'hello's. "Hello everyone! Welcome to the Beast Network!"