Prologue

"Tell me you don't love me anymore, and I'll leave. I'll leave and you won't have to see me again," I said, tears close to spilling over.

She took a deep breath, hesitating a moment. She met my eyes; her own eyes watered with tears. I had messed up, I knew that, but I didn't want to lose her. She was my everything. I loved her more than I loved myself.

"I don't love you anymore," she said.

As she said each word, my heart shattered a little more if that was even possible. The tears I tried to hold back fell. "You can't mean that," I said.

Braelyn's tears spilled over. "I'm sorry, Ridge, but I just don't love you anymore."I looked away. I clenched my fists, taking a deep breath. I did this. I lost her. It was my fault. 

Then, why was I so mad? I finally met her eyes. "Okay, I understand. Goodbye, Braelyn."I stormed off to my truck, hesitating just for a moment. 

I wanted her to change her mind. No, I needed her to change her mind. I needed it more than anything. She just stared at me, tears streaming down her face.

I nodded and opened the door. I got in then slammed it shut behind me. Without a second glance, I sped out of her driveway and down the street. I wanted to turn around and go back. To wrap her up in my arms and beg her to take me back.

God, I was crazy in love with her, but it was clear she didn't love me. I drove to my house and packed my things in a hurry, ignoring the questions Mom threw at me. 

Then, I threw the boxes and suitcases in the back of my truck, said goodbye to my family, and drove out of town, not looking back.