Chapter 1

Ridge's POV

Four years later:

Professor Daniels kept dragging on and on with his lecture, and I kept having to poke Grady, my best friend, in the back of his head with my pencil to keep him awake. Each time, he sent me a glare, and I just smirked.

Another fifteen minutes pass before we are released. Grady looked at me. "Bro, why did you keep poking me?"

"Because you kept falling asleep," I replied as we made our way down the hall.

"It's our last day before Spring Break, okay? Lay off," Grady said, "Speaking of Spring Break, are you still heading back to Texas tonight, You're taking what? Two months off from school?"

"Yeah, but I'll do most of my work from a computer; therefore, I'm not taking two months off," I replied.

"For that girl, correct?"

I looked at him. I never told him about Braelyn, so I didn't know how he knew anything about a girl.

"What are you talking about?"

Grady raised his eyebrows. "Don't play dumb, Ridge. Who else stays up at four a.m. to study? I've seen you looking at the photos."

Did I forget to mention that he was my roommate? I shook my head. "Don't ever mention that to anyone, okay?" I replied.

"Mention what?" he asked, feigning a look of confusion.

I smiled, and that's when I heard a certain voice that makes me what to bang my head against the wall. Grady slaps my back, and before I could protest, he walked away, leaving me alone with her.

Don't get me wrong, Haddie was a really nice girl, and she was really cute. However, she didn't know how to take a hint.

I had kissed her once at a stupid party when I first moved here, and ever since then, I'd tried to get her to leave me alone by blowing her off. She hadn't left, and that kiss happened four years ago.

"Hi, Ridge," she said, pushing a piece of blonde hair out of her eyes.
"Hey, Haddie," I greeted flatly.

Her blue eyes met mine before she continued. "So, Spring Break starts tomorrow, and I was wondering if you know...maybe wanted to hang out with me over the break?" she asked shyly, blushing little.

I sighed, "I'm sorry, but no, I'm going to visit family over the break."Her face fell a little. "Oh, it's okay. Um, where?"

"Texas," I stated, and the minute her face lit up I wish I hadn't said that.

"My aunt lives there! What part?" she asked.

Thankfully, my phone started ringing. I answered it. "Hello?"

"Done chatting with Haddie?" Grady asked smugly.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a minute," I replied, sending an apologetic smile toward Haddie.

She nodded, and when I hung up, she said, "It's fine. Go ahead."

"Thanks, I'll, um, see you around," I replied then hurry off. Once I was out the doors, a hand landed on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw Grady. "I hate you."

"Dude, come on. She can't be that bad."

"She doesn't know how to take a hint! I don't like her!"

Grady rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'll never do it again.""Good. Now, I've got some packing to do and a flight to catch."××××××Grady groaned, rubbing his eyes. "Who goes to the airport at ten o'clock at night?""For one, it's less crowded at night, and for two, I told you that I could drive myself," I replied, looking out the window.

The stars shined bright tonight, and the moon was high above the city I'd come to call a second home. I leaned my head against the window as we passed through the city, mentally saying goodbye.

Call me crazy, but I was going to miss this city. I needed to do this, though. I needed to see Braelyn.

Four years ago I had lost her, breaking her heart and mine in the process. I still hate myself for it; I lost the one thing I love more than anything. After I left town, I never once called her to check up on her; it was the least I could've done.

The airport came into view, and I sighed, sitting up. Grady glanced at me. "You better call me while you're down there. I don't want you to forget about me."

"You sound like my mother."He grinned, pulling into a parking space. "Well, as girly as this is going to sound, I'm gonna miss you."

"Aw, don't get mushy on me," I teased then nodded. "Yeah, I'm gonna miss you, too."

He smiled. "Now, get out of my car and get your girl."

I glared. "This isn't for her, Grady."

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, sure."

I grabbed my stuff and got out. Grady leaned his head out the window, and he started to speak in a Jersey accent that sounded like a woman's. "Have a nice trip, honey. Call me."

I glared at him before hurrying to the airport. There wasn't a terrible crowd, but it wasn't a small one either. I looked at my ticket before looking up at the boarding board. I sat down on the bench, seeing that was my flight was delayed for an hour.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and unlocked it. I went through my pictures until I found one.

It was Braelyn and I on one of our dates. She sat in the booth at that ice cream shop we always went to. Her eyes were crossed, and her tongue was sticking out. I smiled at the picture then placed my phone back into my pocket.

This trip was for Braelyn, despite what I told Grady. I just hoped I wasn't too late to win her back.