Chapter 2

Ridge's POV

The ride home from the airport was a chatty one. Mom and my sister Lee kept telling about how much they missed me and how much the town had changed since I left. I nodded at the appropriate times, my mind not focusing on their words. The only thing on my mind was Braelyn.

What would she look like after four years? Was she seeing anyone? How much, if any, had she changed? Would she talk to me if she saw me? Did she still hate me? I kept coming up with the answers that I wanted, trying to give my self some peace of mind.

"So, Ridge, there's a new coffee shop in town. You wanna stop by and get some coffee and maybe a donut?" Mom asked, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

I nodded. "Sure. I'm up for coffee and a donut," I replied, leaning my head on the window.

The ride to the coffee shop was about ten minutes. I laughed when I got out because the sign read Bug's Coffee. I don't know why I laughed; it wasn't even that funny.

I followed Mom and Lee into the shop, and I looked around. It was small, like a Starbuck, and people filled most of the tables, laughing or on their computers. Unique paintings hung on the walls, and lights that looked like lanterns hung from the ceiling gave the shop a homey feel.

"Hi, welcome to Bug's Coffee. What can I get you?"

My head shot up at the sound of the voice. It was the same voice that I had been dying to hear for years now. Standing behind the counter, attending the customer in front of us, was Braelyn.

Her hair was no longer the dark brown it was or the waist length. Instead, it was streaked with auburn and cut to her shoulders. Her brown eyes were no longer hidden behind glasses, but they had the same flash of gold in them. Her smile was still her smile, and her skin was still the same flawless caramel color it was four years ago. She looked older, more mature.

My eyes traveled to her hands, and my heart stopped beating as I saw what dressed her left ring finger. It was a small diamond ring. She was getting married, I assumed, since I didn't see the wedding band.

Braelyn handed the guy his coffee, and she looked up at us. "Hi, Mrs. McCain, welcome to Bug-" she cut herself off when her eyes landed on me. She studied me for a second, taking in my appearance.

"Hi, Ridge," she said after what felt like forever.

"Hi, Braelyn," I replied.

"I didn't know you were back in town," Braelyn stated.

I nodded. "I just came from the airport, actually."

She nodded. "College suits you," was all she said before asking what we wanted. I stood, frozen in place.

Mom nudged me when I guess it was my turn to order. "A chocolate chip frappuccino and two powered, chocolate filled donut," I said.

Braelyn forced a smile, nodding, and typed in my order before giving my total. I paid her, and we both froze as our hands touched. She cleared her throat, and she pulled her hand and the money away. She placed my change on the counter, not wanting to touch my hand. While she made my coffee and handed me mydonuts she didn't look me in the eyes.

Mom and Lee sat down at a table, leaving us alone. There was no one in line but me, so I decided to make conversation. "So, you're getting married?" I asked.

She rubbed her fingers over her ring. "Yeah," she said.

"When's the big day?"

"Jake and I haven't decided yet. He proposed two weeks ago," She admitted.

To be honest, I was shocked to hear that it wasn't Xavier she was marrying. He really did love her back in high school, and I knew Braelyn had feelings for him as well. "Jake?" I asked, not familiar with the name.

"Jake Remington. He moved to town a year after you left," Braelyn said. I recognized the last name, seeing that Remington Enterprises was a major company in Massachusetts.

"Braelyn Remington," I said, trying it out, "It sounds too formal."

"Is that a bad thing?" she asked, rolling her eyes and cracking a smile.

I shook my head. "No, but I just never took you as a the got to go after a rich boy."

"How do you know he's not poor?" Braelyn challenged.

"Because I'm familiar Remington Enterprises," I said, "I'm assuming one of his family members run it."

"His mother, actually."

"Breaking stereotypes. I like it," I said.

Braelyn looked at the clock. "Well, my shift is over. I'll see you later, Ridge," she said, grabbing her purse.

I watched as she walked out the shop, and I hurried after her, taking a sip of my coffee. "Braelyn!" I called.

She opened her car door and looked up. "Yeah?"

"Would you like to have lunch with me sometime? You know, to catch up?" I asked.

Braelyn bit the inside of her cheek, thinking. Then, she shook her head. "I don't think Jake would like that-"

"I never took you for the girl to care what a guy thought," I said.

She smiled. "A lot has changed since you left, Ridge. For instance, I'm getting married," she said.

I shrugged. "All I asked was to catch up," I said.

Braelyn shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. It was nice seeing you, Ridge," she said, getting into her car.

I waved as she pulled out, and when I saw her car was out of sight, my smile dropped.

Braelyn was getting married.