Another Hospital Visit

After a couple of hours, Mike walked into the room.

"Hey Danny, don't forget, we need to go to the hospital to talk to the lawyer."

"I ain't gonna forget Mike."

I checked the time on my phone. It was already four.

"Alright, just making sure." He headed out the room and closed the door behind him.

I grabbed my weapons from the dresser and headed to the living room. Yuri was sleeping on the couch.

I put my arm on her shoulder and shook her. "Hey, get up. You need to watch over Sarah while I'm out."

She rubbed her eyes and slowly sat up. "Of course. Where are you going?"

"Didn't I already ask you to stop being so nosy?"

"Oh right... I'm sorry."

"Just watch over Sarah, will ya?"

She nodded in agreement.

I grabbed my keys and headed to the car with Mike. In a couple of minutes, we were at the hospital. We entered and met with a nurse, who once again, asked for some information before allowing us to visit our mom's hospital room.

Only this time, she wasn't there. There was only a suited man in a chair.

"Where's Christina," Mike asked the nurse.

"She's been taken out of state to another hospital. She told us that you'd be meeting here with a lawyer at 4:30, so we have the room under her name until five."

"Damn, you could've at least called us first," I said.

The doctor glared at me and closed the door behind her. Mike and I stood in front of the lawyer, who was opening his suitcase.

"Okay, uh, Mr. Guerrero?"

"Yes," we both asked simultaneously.

"Mike Guerrero."

"Yes?"

"Your mother has declared that your home will belong to you first since you are already eighteen years old, but that the custody will be shared with the rest of your siblings when they are the appropriate age. She has also left some possessions for you, as well as an insurance settlement, but that will all be explained only if the death does occur. Otherwise, you will not hear from me again." He handed us both a business card. "If the insurance does go through, go ahead and call me and follow the address on the back."

He closed his suit case and left. I felt as though there was supposed to be a lot more, but that he didn't ask us because he thought we were too young or something. I was honestly hoping I hear what things she left for us, as well as how much we'd get out of the settlement.

Ah, but I guess that'll have to wait.

My brother and I left the hospital and got into the car. On the way home, my brother started asking me some questions.

"Hey Danny."

"What's up?"

"I uh, noticed you've been acting different recently. Is everything alright?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure? You seem a little aggressive. And well, Yuri told me some things..."

"Like?"

"She says that you were really sweet to her when you met her, but that you suddenly changed."

"Well she should keep her mouth shut. I haven't changed at all."

"Danny, I know you're not normally like this. Be honest... are you having trouble dealing with the uh, murder? I mean, I'm sure knowing that you killed someone can be quite troubling, and well, if I remember correctly, you said-"

I immediately slammed on the brakes to shut him up.

"Woah, careful Danny."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore, Mike. Let's just go home."

"Well, just know that-"

"Shut it. I don't wanna hear it."

He didn't respond. The rest of the ride home was silent, just like it should be.