Goodbye, Monika

I opened my eyes and saw Yuri in my vision.

"Yuri?" rubbed my eyes. "Where's Monika?"

"Monika? W-what do you mean?"

It was a dream... it was fucking dream!

I sighed. "Agh, never mind!"

I sat up and thought about the dream for a moment. How could I be so stupid... how could I believe that Monika was back?

She put her hand on my shoulder. "Danny, are you feeling alright?"

I moved her hand away. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You seem-"

"I said I'm fine Yuri! Dammit, why do you worry so much? It's ridiculous!"

She looked away. "I'm sorry."

"Haven't we been through this a bunch of times already? You apologize, but you keep doing it! Why?"

"I-I don't know..."

"Whatever. I don't even feel like being here anymore... let's just head home."

We headed back to the car. On the way, I continued thinking about the dream I had. It made me feel frustrated and alone. I don't know, I guess things weren't really working between me and Yuri.

Ah, but I gotta stop thinking about that for now. I don't wanna distract myself while driving, even though I'd rather be dead than be without Monika.

I drove Yuri and I back home. It was a silent car ride, and when we got home, we went inside without saying a word. I started to feel bad again... it was odd. There were times where I felt frustrated towards her, and other times where I felt bad for her.

It's like I'm two different people.

I decided that I was gonna apologize to her, but that I should also give her some time to herself. After acting the way I did, I was pretty sure she wouldn't want to see me at the moment.

While she went to the guest room, I headed to the kitchen to eat something. I just made a simple ham sandwich with a little bit of chips.

After eating, I felt like I was ready to apologize. Upon approaching the door however, my mind felt different. I felt like I didn't need to apologize. She was the one who overreacted.

No Danny, come on. You messed up. You need to apologize.

I took a deep breath and put my hand on the door knob. I slowly opened the door and saw Yuri with her face buried in a pillow. I heard her quietly sniffling and crying. It was heartbreaking.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a little. It hurt, but it wasn't that bad.

Nonetheless, it did make me feel a little guilty. I mean, I was the reason she was crying.

Wait, was I feeling guilt? Or was I feeling proud? I don't know.

Danny stop.

I quietly took another breath. "Yuri?"

Her crying suddenly went silent. She slowly turned her head towards me. I saw her bright purple eyes shine with tears.

"Uh... are you alright? You seem... sad."

No shit, why would you say that?

She sat up and wiped her tears. "I-I'm fine."

"Yuri... look, I'm sorry for what I said at the park. I just felt a little frustrated or something, I don't know."

"I understand Danny. It must be frustrating when you wake up and don't find who you were expecting..." she started to tear up again.

"What?"

"I'm sure you were hoping to see Monika. It must be disappointing to wake up to me instead of her." She burst into tears. "I'm sorry."

"Yuri, sh-"

Danny! Be sweet! She cares for you and feels like a disappointment because of you!

"Yuri, I'm... I'm happy to wake up to you. It's like uh, it doesn't matter really. I mean, it's alright if you're not Monika. You're uh, well you're Yuri. And that's just as good. And well, if anything, it's better in a way."

She continued to cry. Maybe I could've done a little better than that.

"H-hey! Uh... you got uh, more to grab, you know?"

Danny! Choose your words more carefully, it seems like you're making it worse!

"I uh... I'm sorry Yuri. I know I can be ridiculous at times, and well, I really care for you. I don't know why I dreamt of Monika, but I'm past her now."

That seemed to somewhat help her. She soon calmed herself down enough to speak.

She wiped her eyes and sniffled. "I'm sorry, I just feel like you'd rather be with her."

"No Yuri, don't think that. I'm glad we're together. I know I haven't really been showing that... but I'll try to be less aggressive, okay?"

"It's okay if you're aggressive, Danny. I can handle it."

"But you shouldn't have to. I'll try to be better, I promise."

She sniffled and gently smiled. "And I'll try not to worry so much."

"It's okay if you do, Yuri. It shows that you care, I just overreacted." I hugged her. "I'm sorry for being so mean with you."

I really needed to stop that. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would be disappointed with the way I was treating Yuri. That includes myself.

"It's okay, Danny. I know you're good at heart."

Subject change, please.

"Ah well, just don't ever think that I'd choose anyone else over you, okay?"

"Not even Monika?"

"No of course not. i'Ve AcTuAlLy BeEn FoRgEtTiNg AbOuT hEr."

She sighed. "Be honest. I understand if you do, Danny. She was a really nice girl."

"tRuSt Me, i DoN't. I only want you, Yuri. —————— is a thing of the past."

The difference between Yuri and —————— was that Yuri was here now. —————— was just a figment of my subconscious. She's only a memory.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure, Yuri. Don't let it get to you, okay? I don't miss her anymore."

"Okay. I'm sorry for being so insecure..."

"It's fine. Just try not to worry about her."

She gave me a gentle smile. With hesitation smiled back at her. We just stared at each other in silence. Part of me felt like she didn't fully believe me when I told her that I only wanted to be with her, but I couldn't worry about that right now. When I saw Monika, I also remembered something else. If memory served me right, Yuri wouldn't be here for very long. It would be another cycle of depression and dealing with psychological treatment.

Ah, but all I could do was wait and see what happened. I also needed to be sure I had access to Keith's house on the weekend. I don't need any extra complications when she gets taken back.

And one thing was for sure. I had to say goodbye to Monika. I was with Yuri now, and honestly shouldn't even be thinking of Monika.

No matter how much I missed her.

Goodbye, Monika. It was nice knowing you.