Useless Encounter

After a couple of minutes, we got to the mall. It wasn't all that crowded since it was Tuesday and most people were at work. Yuri and I started walking around. I kept thinking about how I was walking, trying to make sure I wasn't walking weird or something. Honestly, I think that just made it worse.

After walking around for a while, we saw the book store. It was bigger than I remembered it, but I mean, I didn't come here very often. We entered the store and Yuri walked around for a bit while I just looked at some of the little figurines they had for sale.

Why was I looking at figurines? I mean, I guess some of them were interesting, but I wasn't the kind of person to buy them.

While I was looking, I suddenly felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I was a little confused to see Becca.

"Becca?"

"You're an asshole, you know that? How could say such horrible things to Deanna?"

I suddenly remembered what I had said. I just wasn't sure how to answer her question...

"I was a little frustrated at the time, I guess."

I noticed Deanna outside the store. As soon as we made eye contact, she looked away.

"So you took your anger out on her? What the hell?"

I looked away. "Well uh, I don't really know what to say." I sighed. "It was wrong of me to do that, and I'm sorry."

"Don't tell me, tell her! You made her cry, Danny! Don't you care at all?"

Do I?

"Becca, me and Deanna aren't a couple anymore. I really don't think I should be worrying about her..."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Well uh..."

"Danny, she loves you. She misses you and she cares about you."

"Well she left me for some other guy... I don't think that's what you do to someone you love. Besides, I already have a girlfriend."

"And? She left her boyfriend so she could be with you!"

That was true. Deanna and I had been together twice. Once for two months and another for fourteen. I had broken up with her thinking that she didn't like me and only dated me out of pity. I don't know... I lacked confidence and had a weird mindset at the time.

Oh wait, I still do.

After we broke up, she dated my friend, Randy. They dated for about two weeks before she broke up with him and admitted that she wanted me back. A couple of months later, we got back together.

But that was when she had feelings for me. When she broke up with me after we dated the second time, she told me that she missed Randy. I'm not really sure what happened after, all I know is that they never got together and that she thought they were best friends or something like that.

"Yeah I guess I remember that."

"So maybe you should do the same for her."

"Becca, that doesn't make sense... she left her boyfriend because she missed me. That was her decision. Whether I break up with my girlfriend or not is my decision, not hers."

I felt myself becoming aggravated, but I did my best to keep myself calm.

"Well at least think about it. You'll be making a big mistake if you let her go. She won't hold onto you forever."

"That's good. I'd hate for her to get attached. It hurts."

"Well you know what, she is. Even after you hit her, she still loves you."

"I didn't hit her! I never would have done that. And I honestly don't know why she's been telling people that."

A rumor had spread that I had hit Deanna. I believed that it had happened, since It would have never crossed my mind that she'd lie to me about something like that, but I could never remember it actually happening. I assumed I was just too angry to remember.

I don't ever recall being abusive, but I was pretty aggressive.

"Because she needed help! How could you hurt someone as sweet as her?"

I suddenly felt a gentle tap on my left arm. I turned around and saw Yuri hugging a book with her left arm. I also saw the other people in the store looking towards us.

My aggression suddenly died down as as I looked at her. If I was gonna talk to her, I needed to be calm.

"You got your book?"

She simply nodded.

"Alright, we'll be out of here in a bit. Just give me-"

"Hey, you're gonna apologize to Deanna first," Becca shouted.

"What for?"

"For everything you've done!"

"Wait, what's going on," Yuri asked.

"Your boyfriend hurt my friend!"

She glanced at me before looking back at Becca.

"Don't you think it would be better to discuss this in a private setting?"

"Him and Deanna did talk in private! He told her such horrible things! Honestly, how could you be with someone like him?"

"He's a sweet guy."

Come on Yuri, you know that's not true...

"Him? A sweet guy? You gotta be kidding..."

"I'm serious." She held my hand. "He's shown me nothing but love."

Yuri, stop...

"Whatever, you're probably as crazy as he is."

I stepped forward. "Hey alright, you can say whatever you want about me, but don't go insulting my girlfriend."

"What? Are you gonna hit me too? I'll say whatever I want."

As I was about to say something else, Yuri held my hand tighter. I just kept my mouth shut and watched as Becca walked away with Deanna.

I took Yuri to the front counter and purchased the book she picked out, which was titled "House of Leaves." After purchasing the book, we headed out the store. Some things were on my mind, though.

Why was Yuri saying such things? I had been so horrible to her... why would she go and defend me like that? She acted as though I had been a good boyfriend, even though I had been the complete opposite.