You're Back

I woke up in the drivers seat of my car. I looked around and saw Monika in the passengers seat, smiling at me once again.

"Good morning."

"Monika? What are you doing?"

"I wanted to see you again." She looked down at her feet. "And I know you feel the same way."

"Well I mean, of course I do."

She sighed and put her hand on mine. "But we both know I'm not real. I disappeared a while ago, but you keep having dreams of me. I'm somewhere in the back of your mind."

There was no denying that...

I sighed. "I know. I'd give anything to have you back, Monika. I miss you so much."

"I miss you too, Danny, I cant stand the fact that we're not together anymore." She started to tear up. "Do you really love Yuri?"

"In full honestly, I don't think so. If anything, I think I might actually dislike her."

She wiped her eyes and sighed. "I see. Well, let's go for a drive."

"Uh, okay."

I drove down the street, which seemed to be infinite. The houses on the sides soon disappeared, being replaced by a black void. The only things that I could see were the road in front of me and Monika.

She pointed out her window and smiled. "Look over there."

I looked to where she was pointing and saw an image of me helping her onto Keith's bed. More photos started appearing until the void was completely filled with them. They were all memories of Monika and I.

When I first met her. When I woke up next to her for the first time. When she helped me get over the thoughts of my ex. When I took her and Maegan to the mall. When she met Odin for the first time. When I showed her Monika After Story.

When we first started dating... ah what a day.

There were so many memories. It made me happy seeing them again.

"We made so many memories," I said.

"Yup." She sighed. "It was a nice time."

"It really was. You know, I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to go back relive those memories."

"But you're with her now."

Her tone suddenly changed. She still seemed happy, but she wasn't as excited. I turned to Monika, as I was surprised to hear her say what she did.

"Wh-What do you mean?"

"You've has your fair share of memories with her also."

All the memories of Monika started to disappear. They were replaced with memories of Yuri and I.

When I first met her. When I woke up next to her for the first time. When I took her and Maegan to the mall. When she met my siblings. When she met my mother.

And when we first started dating. I could memorize it so vividly, but I felt nothing upon seeing it. It wasn't as special as when I dated Monika.

Still, I had shared many memories with Yuri as well. It was nice to see that there was a time when I was happy with her, even though I didn't feel the same way anymore.

"And you two are still together, so you can create even more memories."

"But why would I want to do that," I asked.

She just giggled. I suddenly felt myself in the back seat of my car. No one was driving, but the car continued to move. On the left of me was Monika and my memories of her. On the right of me was an empty space, but part of me felt like someone belonged there.

"I love you," she said. "And no matter what happens, I know that you'll stay with me. I know you won't let anyone come between us."

I felt like agreeing with her would be loving and betraying at the same time. I cared about her, but I doubted that we'd ever be able to see each other again.

A wall suddenly appeared at the end of the road. There was a picture on it. The car was approaching it fast, however. It looked like we were gonna hit head on.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

I saw the picture right before we made contact with the wall, but it was only for a split second. Still, my mind burned the image into my head.

And well, I totally agreed with it.