The Park

Once we got to the park, we started walking on the park trail for a bit. I led Yuri by the pond so that I could show her the spot that I liked. It was pretty secluded, since a bunch of trees started covering the trail a while back.

When we got to the pond, I helped Yuri through the trees, allowing her to reach the spot. We sat on the bench and looked at the water.

"Thank you for taking me here, Danny."

"Oh uh, you're welcome."

"It's really nice, sitting here by the water. I can see why you'd come here to do your thinking."

As she was speaking, I noticed she was also shivering. She's be fine though, she already had a sweater on.

"Well any quiet spot would be sufficient for thinking, Yuri. Not just here."

"I know, but being outside and feeling the light breeze would create a more peaceful setting. Well, at least I feel like it would. I'm sure some prefer to be indoors. What about you, Danny?"

"What? What about me?"

"Do you prefer to be outside or inside?"

What do I prefer?"

"Well uh, I guess it would depend really. If it's too hot, I'll stay inside. But if it's like right now, then I'd definitely prefer to be outside."

"Ah I see. How's the weather around here usually like?"

"Well it's actually pretty random... I can never predict what it'll be like tomorrow."

"Oh, well-"

"Don't you think talking about the weather is a bit awkward?"

"I uh, well..."

I guess I caught her off guard.

"Relax Yuri. Don't think so much, just chill out."

"I-I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Just be chill."

I really shouldn't be the one to tell her that. I'm not usually a "chill" person.

"Okay," she quietly said.

We stared at the water in silence. It was an awkward silence, and I couldn't stand it! Agh, gotta find something...

I looked at the ground and saw some rocks. I picked a flat one off of the ground.

"Hey uh, have you ever skipped rocks? I had a friend show me once."

"No, I don't think so."

"Uh well, let's try it!"

I tried to sound excited, but who can be excited about something as boring as a rock?

We approached the pond. I gently tossed the rock and watched as it plopped in the water.

Okay, so I didn't know how to-

Wait, have I seen this before? Must be some odd déjà vu... but it feels like more than that. I definitely remember this.

Ah well, it's probably nothing. If it mattered, I would've remembered it by now.

Okay, so I didn't know how to skip rocks. I saw my friend do it, but I never really learned how. I just watched him.

"Ah well, I'm not really good at this." I picked up a flat rock off the ground and handed it to her. "You try it."

"Alright." She took the rock and tossed it, causing it to skip twice.

"Wow. You sure you haven't done this before?"

"I'm sure I just got lucky."

"Probably." I handed her another flat rock. "I'm sure you can't do that again."

She took the rock and tossed it. It plopped into the water just like mine did.

"Well, looks like I'm not the only who sucks."

"Oh well..."

We sat back down on the bench and looked at the pond some more.

I suddenly felt my heart stop. Not literally, but I felt a sudden burst of fear. Confusion as well, with a mix of surprise and concern. It wasn't something I felt very often, but it sure as hell felt familiar.

Why was I feeling this way? I shouldn't be feared! I should be putting others in fear!

"Danny, are you okay?"

"Huh? Y-Yeah, I'm alright."

"You suddenly jumped, are you sure?"

"Well, I'm just a little on edge or something, why do you care?"

"I-I just wanted to check up on-"

"Well stop. It's unnecessary."

She looked down. "Okay."

I felt strangely tired after that sudden burst of feelings. I also felt like crying... but crying was for the weak. I lied on my side in some weird mixed lying sitting up position. It was uncomfortable, but I managed to fall asleep anyway.

Well I thought I did. After I was about to fall asleep, a part of my body ached, causing me to move some more.

"Danny, are you-"

"I'm gonna lie on your legs. I need to rest my head on something soft."

"O-Okay."

I lied my head on her thighs. It was a lot more comfortable than the hard bench. I slowly drifted off to sleep while lying on Yuri.