Chapter 55: January 23rd 2017

True P.O.V

I was glad to be out of the hospital, but sadly that was a couple days ago and I was going to have to go to school.

Did I miss something? I eventually texted Kyle, since he couldn't come to the hospital, and got caught up in this situation, sometimes Luke's ignorance makes ME want to slam his head into a wall. Seriously Luke? I try to kill myself and you don't tell Kyle about it? What an asshole.

I had come home on Thursday and it felt different I couldn't explain. My family, aside from my dad who I haven't seen since before my attempt, have been treating me nicer, kinder. Before my mom wouldn't hesitate to slap me in the mouth but I knew she wouldn't know, I knew because of the damn look in her eye. She was sorry, I could tell, but sorry is simply a five letter word that means nothing from my family because they say it like it means nothing to them.

Aside from that, Bryan has become my new shadow, since I got home he was almost constantly at my side. I had gone to bed in my room and woke in the morning to have Bryan cuddled into my side.

I knew it must have hurt him, to have his older brother, the brother he looks up too, to have said brother try to kill himself, and find said brother on the floor of his bedroom dying. It must have scared him, but I was going to try and make it better the best I could.

I wasn't used to my family treating me like I was special because I didn't even see myself that way, but they don't know that. They don't know what's happened to me beyond closed doors. They don't know what's been done when no ones looking. Why would they?

I was getting driven to school today, mom was driving all of us, which was a once in a lifetime thing considering before my attempt she didn't even want to be in the same room as me, let alone drive me to school like a loving mother. It made me wonder why she hates me so much, what I must have done to make a mother hate her own offspring, she must remember it because I have no idea what I must have done to create a hateful family that I had now.

Or may I say had but I didn't want to get my hopes up because let's say in a week this situation will be right back to how it started.

I was sitting in the back seat next to Bryan, Chris called shot-gun, and the twins got the second row of seats leaving the very back of the van to me and Bryan, not that I minded, anytime we got in the van I usually ended in the back, I had practically dubbed this my seat.

I looked out the window letting my family know I wasn't in the mood to chat. I was never in the mood. I had texted Kyle alerting him that I would be at school today, and I had gotten an almost immediate response of he'd see me there. I knew he was hesitant to come to school on the chance that he might bump into Luke, and though I knew they were having one of those couple moments I knew they were the ones for each other, soul mates I guess they could be called. Even though the magical type of soul mate is bullshit, I'm talking about the one for you share with the person who makes you feel alive and complete and I knew Luke was that puzzle piece for Kyle, they happened to fit perfectly. It warmed my heart to see the two of them side by side, see the love in their eyes. There was no faking that love.

The van pulled up next to the high school but you couldn't see the entrance so no one would see us all leave from the same car, which made me feel good. The twins got out first, and Bryan followed them, grabbing onto Michael's hand as they walked towards the middle and elementary school. Chris got out and suddenly it was just me and mom. Mom turned around and looked at me with a pitying look.

"I know you don't want to go, Truth, but you have too." She said with empathy in her eyes, an emotion I don't remember her ever directing towards me. Maybe that was because she, oh, I don't know hates me? But whatever.

"But," I said quietly. "Please don't make me go," I said as quietly as possible, I really didn't want to be here. I really want to go home and forget this awful place even existed. But I knew by the look on my mothers face that I had no choice in the matter and that she was in no mood to argue with me, so with a sigh I unbuckled my seat belt, something I really didn't need to wear and climbed out of the van before mom's voice stopped me.

"I'm only doing this because I love you." She said before she sped off towards the city. Was what she was doing before my attempt because she loved me? I hope not because she said she loved Chris, Bryan, Madisyn, and Michael, and she never raised at hand to them, never left a large handprint red mark on there faces, never kicked a bruise into there side or lower legs, or scratched they face's with her manicured nails which are always sharp.

They don't see mom the way I see her and my view on her hasn't really changed which isn't shocking really since not a lot of time has passed. I was waiting, I was waiting for the moment for life to restart where I left off and for a second chance to arise because nothing is going to change.

Oh, how wrong I was but was the change to come better?

(This is short, I apologize)