Prologue

"Hi Mum!" I knelt down on the grass, clutching the bouquet of roses and peonies. Both of our favourite flowers. The grass soaked through my jeans, making me shiver, numbing my body so it matched my heart. "I got an A+ on my last assignment. You would've liked it, we had to take photos of nature so I went to the Butterfly Conservatory. I know they were your favourite." I sorted the flowers into the empty planter.

"I had dinner with Lorena last night. She hasn't changed much, she's still listening to that British boy band, although I've noticed more of the blonde guys' pictures seem to take over her wall rather than Harry, the curly-haired one." I paused to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear that had fallen in my eyes, swallowing a lump in my throat as I remembered how my Mum would sometimes do that for me, her fingers always felt so soft and comforting against my skin.

"Oh! She tried to set me up with a guy a few weeks ago, it was awful. I swear he was more of a girl than I am. He screamed when I drove him home on my motorbike, like actually, physically screamed. I had to try so hard not to laugh. Such a sissy." I chuckled softly at the memory.

"Hmm... what else do I have to tell you? I'm still in my apartment. I love it. I love having a space that's all mine. I found a couple of armchairs for that little space between my bedroom and the kitchen so I've made it into a little sitting room area. It's nice for reading or working on my photos. I wish you could see it, Mum. I miss you." I felt a tear slide down my cheek and before I could stop it, another followed it. I closed my eyes as I sobbed, slumping forward onto the grass. My forehead immediately feeling the chill of the wet grass.

Just as I was beginning to completely lose it, two incredibly strong arms wrapped around me and picked me up. They held me upright before pulling me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Why did she do it Danny? Why did she leave us? I still need her." I cried into his t-shirt, my tears soaking it through.

"Come on, Angel, you know she didn't have a choice. And I know beyond a doubt she's watching over you." I chose to say nothing. We had very different opinions on whether she had a choice and I didn't want to argue with him. Danny had been amazing this past year, without him I don't know where I would be. He was my Mum's best friend and the closest person I had to a parent. "Come on, why don't you come to mine for dinner? Then you can help me set up at the Ace."

"Sounds good." I sniffled, wiping my tears away. "Bye, Mum." I whispered as we left. Danny's arm slung, protectively over my shoulder.