Forty-Eight

Harry

I stood in front of the big blue door, the door that even after a year still made me tremble with fear. Not because I was scared of the door but more the person who lived behind it. I clutched the vintage ring box that had been in my jacket since we'd come back from Holmes Chapel and found the courage to ring the doorbell.

"Harry! What are you doing here? Is it Jessi? Has something happened?" Danny's voice boomed.

"Hi, Danny. Jessi is fine. Can I come in?" I asked, my nerves buzzed with nervousness and excitement. I knew I didn't need to do this, I mean technically he wasn't actually Jessi's Dad, but he was in the ways that counted and I wanted to do this properly.

"Sure, is everything okay?" He looked concerned as he motioned for me to come inside. I walked along the familiar hallway, lined with pictures of Jess and her Mum, and into the Living Room. "You look like you need a drink." He disappeared into the kitchen as I sat down. I carefully took off my jacket and placed it down beside me, making sure the ring box was still tucked securely in the inside pocket.

"Here you go?" I jumped as Danny tapped my shoulder with the glass of Tequila and ice, he sat down across from me with his Whiskey. "So what's this all about?"

"I - uhm - I -" My words tangled in my mouth. I couldn't get anything out.

"Calm down, Harry. Take a drink." Danny was looking more and more concerned by the second. I took a sip of my drink but it didn't help. I was still terrified.

"So mine and Jessi's anniversary is coming up in a few weeks." I started.

"Yeah. I have to admit I never thought you'd get this far, Rockstar!" He chuckled, the nickname had grown on me since the first time I'd heard it. I knew he didn't mean it nastily.

"Anyway, I have something special planned, that I could use your help with, well not really your help exactly, but I -" I was losing my train of thought again.

"Do you want to use the Ace? You know I don't have a problem with that, Son." I took another sip of my drink and tried again. The fact that he just called me son, gave me a lump in my throat.

"No, I don't need to use the Ace. I know Jess is really important to you and you are really special to her, you're more or less -"

"She's like a daughter to me, Harry. I love that girl with all my heart and I know I give you a hard time sometimes but I really am glad she found you. She's been the happiest I've ever seen her this past year, and it's all your doing. For a while there I worried she'd never be the same after her Mum died but you put her heart back together." Danny was welling up, and it surprised me, I'd never seen him this emotional before. 

"That means a lot, really, I don't know what to say. The reason I'm here is I want to ask your permission -" I paused as Danny suddenly stood up. My entire body tensed and I closed my eyes waiting for him to smack me or throw me out his house but instead he hugged me, pulling me up out of my chair.

"You want my permission to marry Jess?" He let me go and, wiped away a tear that had rolled down his cheek before coughing to clear his throat.

"Yes. That is exactly why I'm here, well to get your permission to ask her, she has to say yes first." I felt myself welling up too.

"She will. She's crazy about you. Have you bought the ring yet?" Danny grinned. My hands were shaking as I tried to prize the box from its hiding place. I handed it over and chuckled as Danny's giant hands struggled to undo the tiny latch, I undid it for him and watched as his eyes widened when he lifted the lid.

"You did good kid, she'll love it." I was glad he thought so. I'd agonised over it for ages. I'd spotted the diamond first, it was grey but so fluid looking, like clouds reflected in crystal clear water. And I knew Jess would appreciate the beauty in its imperfection. I also couldn't resist adding a little flair, after all I feel like such an important piece of jewellery should reflect both of us. It made me happy that it was one of a kind, unique, just like Jessi.