Seventy

Jessi

I walked along the narrow corridor, looking for Jeffrey but the melody coming from the door which I'd just passed made me freeze. Harry had been whistling this tune for days so I took a few steps backwards and tilted my head towards the sound. 

Woman in red lace, she haunts all my dreams,

I wake to find her there too.

The rum on those peach lips, rich and creamy, baby.

Paradise has nothing on you.

Harry's deep voice filtered through the wood before the music suddenly stopped.

"Ahh... I don't know, Mitch. It still doesn't seem right. It's driving me fucking crazy." He groaned. His tone had me shuffling closer to the door, why was he so anxious about this song?

"Jessi! There you are!" Jeffrey's voice startled me so much my feet actually left the ground. My heart thumped in my chest at the fear I'd been caught eavesdropping on Harry.

"Hey Jeffrey!" I fought to keep my voice normal as my feet started walking towards him, keen to keep him away from the door I'd stopped at. Although, knowing Jeffrey he knew exactly where Harry was.

"How you feeling? You need to keep that bump away from Glenne, it's looking way too cute!" He smiled. That wouldn't be hard, I was sure she didn't like me.

"Is she here?" 

"I think she's going to pop in later." He gripped my elbow as he led me towards a room with the door open. "Anyway, you don't have to worry about this, you know? Harry said you were feeling a little weirded out because I'd switched therapists on you?" Seems I'd need to speak to Harry about what I was comfortable sharing with Jeffrey. Not that I didn't trust his manager, but I just didn't want him knowing every little detail about me.

"Harry shouldn't have told you that but yeah, I just don't really understand why you had to change things." I replied. He stopped at the doorway and pulled the door closed, backing a little way back down the corridor.

"I'm sorry. I probably should have spoke to you first but I needed to hurry, she gets booked up months in advance and I heard she had a space. She's great Jessi, she's worked with a few people I know, she's discreet, great at her job and she understands the pressures which come with a job like Harry's." He spoke quietly and I realised the woman must be on the other side of the door. 

"But I don't have a job like Harry's. I'm just his girlfriend." I didn't need a fancy pants celebrity therapist.

"Jessi, you can be so naïve sometimes." He scoffed.

"Jeffrey Azoff! Will you stop terrifying my client? That's my job." A female voice chuckled as the door swung open.

"Dreea!" Jeffrey sighed. "I was just-"

"Trying to tell my client how she should feel. I got that. Now scoot and leave us alone!" Her tone was firm but friendly and the look on Jeff's face made me smile. He looked like a pouty child who'd been told off. I don't think he was used to not being in charge and as he slunk off, I realised he didn't like it either.

"Uhm. Hi Doctor. I'm Jessi." I turned my attention back to the woman stood in front of me. She was a little taller than me, her long dark hair pulled back into a high ponytail which made her look every inch the woman who had just told off Jeffrey Azoff. But her features were soft, especially her big brown eyes. She looked warm and kind. In fact, she looked exactly like a hug personified and I immediately relaxed.

"I'm Andreea or you can call me Dreea if you'd like. Either works for me." She stood to the side and held out her arm towards the door she'd just walked through. I walked inside and found two sofas, one leather and one brown with puffy comfortable looking cushions so I chose that one and made myself comfortable. Without thinking, I picked up the fluffy pillow sat beside me and hugged it to my body, it made me feel more comfortable, protected. "Also, don't mind Jeffrey, all he meant was I'm used to working with clients who have to travel a lot. I asked him to get you to meet me here so we could have a little chat before your first proper session. It's nothing to worry about, just want to make sure we're the right fit, yeah?" She smiled as she sat down on the sofa beside me. Her body turned towards me in what I guessed was a deliberate move to show she was listening or something.