Fifty-Nine

Harry

The time blinking on the phone screen startled me as I answered the phone, 11am?! I hadn't slept this late in - I don't know how long? I held the phone to my ear and tried not to wake Jess who was breathing softly against my chest. 

"Hi!" I mumbled, carefully detangling myself from Jessi, even although that's the last thing I wanted to do. I looked down at her laying on my sofa looking more spectacular than any work of art I'd seen and then she let out a little whimper and I scarpered off to the spare bedroom, well it was my bedroom now. I still couldn't sleep in our old bedroom. It haunted me. 

"Harry? It's Mum. Jessi isn't answering her phone. We're starting to get worried. Gem said she was going out with a male friend last night and nobody has seen or heard from her since?" I could hear the panic in my Mum's voice.

"Mum, it's okay. She's with me. We ended up at the same party and she stayed with me last night. Her phone must be on silent or out of charge or something because I haven't heard it ring."

"Oh, thank God. Robin she's with Harry. I don't know. Harry, why is Jess with you?" I knew what they were thinking.

"We're friends Mum, friends are allowed to hang out." I sighed.

"You two can never be just friends, you love each other too much. This is a good sign." I could feel her getting carried away.

"Anyway, she'll hate me again once she finds out that I've been keeping your huge secret from her. You need to tell her." I regretted showing her my journal as soon as I saw her eyes lock onto Ever Since New York. It was as if she could smell a secret a mile off.

"Robin will tell her but he wants to wait until he sees her-" My Mum replied, her voice suddenly tinged with sadness.

"I can't hide it from her until Christmas!" I complained. My Mum had made it perfectly clear a few weeks ago that Jess would spend Christmas with us and that I could either suck it up or go spend it with my Dad because my Mum was not leaving her to spend Christmas on her own. Apparently Jess had tried to wriggle out of it too but, had been met with the same immovable, stone wall.

"No, we're coming for Niall and Lori's party. Jess invited us, even your Dad's coming."

"Dad's coming?" He blamed Jess for everything and he didn't exactly hide how he felt. "And you can't tell her at the party."

"Yeah, Jess invited him and he said he's going. And we'll be there for about a week, we'll find a good time to tell her, I promise."

"Hey, there you are!" Jessi's voice startled me and I almost dropped the phone.

"Jesus Jess, you scared me half to death!" I clutched my chest.

"Is that your Mum? Let me talk to her!" She grabbed the phone off me before I could utter another word.

"Hey, did you get your invitations?" She smiled.

"Awesome. I miss you guys. I think I might come visit for a bit after the party, if that's okay?" She looked so excited but I couldn't help but frown, what they had to tell her would devastate her. I was already trying to be strong for Mum and Gem, I just hoped I could find the strength to be there for her too.

"Des is coming too? Yay, Harry will be pleased." She smiled at me and I produced the best smile I could for her. She could have so easily left my Dad off the guest list and nobody would have blamed her, in fact nobody would have noticed, he wasn't exactly a constant presence in my life but he tried, I guess.

"Yeah, he still wants us to go as Ariel and Eric!" She giggled.

"Well, I might as well, it's not like I'll be bringing a date." My heart twinged at the thought. I threw myself down on the bed, this conversation could take a while.