Sixty-Two

Jessi

 I stretched out on the sofa, peeking over at Harry sat in the armchair. He had his legs slung over the side and was wrapped in a fluffy blanket. Things between us felt strained. I got the impression both of us were holding something back and feared the consequences of letting it all out.

I heard my phone buzz, and I smiled when I saw Dougie's name.

"Who's that?" Harry grumbled.

"Dougie." I replied.

"Oh." Was all he said, and he went back to gazing blankly at the TV screen.

"Sooo... I will be in New York for New Year, wanna meet up?"

"Uhm. I'm actually in the UK right now."

"When do you go home?"

"The third."

"Do you fancy flying home a little early? Like maybe, tomorrow?"

"Uhm. I'm not sure I can?" I looked over at Harry, his eyes still glued on the TV. I found myself fixated on his curls tickling at his ear, he swung his leg absentmindedly and I could literally reach out and touch him but he'd never felt so far away from me. It made me feel unbelievably lonely. I wiped away the couple of tears that had escaped my eyes.

"What do you want?" He suddenly snapped at me.

"N-nothing?" I stuttered, surprised by his outburst.

"Well stop watching me, it's freaking me out." His voice still had an edge to it I didn't like. I jumped up off the sofa as soon as I heard the door.

"Robin! Can I talk to you for a second?" I smiled as him, Anne and Gemma walked into the Living Room. They'd been shopping. Sale shopping was my idea of a nightmare so I'd given it a miss and when Harry declined to go I had thought maybe we could talk but he just sat there staring at the TV all morning.

"Sure, Jess." Robin smiled, and I followed him into the Kitchen.

"Uhm. Would you mind if I went back home for a few days, maybe a week and then I'd come back?" I asked. I wanted to stay for Robin but I was feeling like I was suffocating here. I couldn't stand the way things were between me and Harry.

"Sure you can Love, this isn't a prison." He chuckled.

"Thank you!" I hugged him tight.

"You're welcome, are you going to spend New Year with Lori?" He asked.

"No, actually, that guy Dougie asked me if I'd like to spend New Year with him in New York, he will be there." I smiled as I thought about it, I knew it would be fun, Dougie was a lot of fun.

"Hmm... that's the first time I've seen you properly smile in days so I definitely can't refuse." Robin said.

"Thank you. I better get packing." I pulled out my phone to message Dougie.

"Jessi?" Robin said.

"Yeah?" I turned to look at him.

"Have a good time." He grinned at me. I smiled back and headed for the stairs. Dougie had sent me another message.

"Ah okay. It's fine. Just thought I'd push my luck."

"Is there still time for me to change my mind?"

"Seriously? You wanna come?"

"Yeah. If it's still okay?"

"Are you kidding me? Of course it is."