Sixty-Seven

Jessi

My hand was shaking as I stared at the two pink lines. My knees turned to jelly, and I had to grip onto the bathroom sink to stop myself from falling to the floor. I swept the test angrily into the bin as if it was somehow the tests fault, although it wasn't exactly my fault either, I was taking my birth control. Hell! Of course it was my fault! I'm the one who had sex with him. I hadn't noticed I was crying until I heard the tears splash onto the porcelain. I glanced into the mirror and it was as if a stranger was staring back at me, a mother. I didn't know what to do. My Mum would be so disappointed in me and Danny and Lori, and then there's Harry. How the fuck was I supposed to tell Harry?

"Surprise I fucked up and now our whole lives have changed!" My tears were now gushing out, and I was audibly sobbing, I stumbled towards my bed and lay down staring at the ceiling. I don't think I'd ever felt more scared or more alone in my entire life, which made no sense as apparently I was carrying a little person inside me. Crying seemed to be the only thing my body was capable off.

-----

I was woken by somebody banging on my apartment door. I glanced at the clock and realised it was 10pm, I'd been asleep for six hours.

"Jessi!" The muffled voice yelled, and they banged on the door again. I really didn't want to see or speak to anyone but they just kept on banging.

I reluctantly got up and walked towards the door, "Alright, stop banging!" I had a look through the spyhole but I couldn't see who it was.

"Jessi, come on." In my sleepy haze I recognised the voice but I couldn't quite place my finger on who it was. I unlocked the door and opened it a tiny bit to check but it suddenly flew open and almost smacked me in the face. Fear surged through my body until I realised it was Mickey.

"You're supposed to wait to be let in." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Whatever, wanna fuck?" His breath reeked of alcohol. "I'm horny."

"Yeah? Well, I'm not and besides we don't have that arrangement anymore, like I kept telling you in Iraq." I sighed. His presence was the last thing I needed.

"But you're the best fuck I ever had!" His breath alone had me recoiling from him until my back was pressed against the wall. He moved closer, a horrible lecherous smile on his face.

"Kiss me." His breath made me feel like I would vomit.

"No, Mickey! Go away!" I sighed, pushing his chest.

"Please..." He begged and placed his hand against my stomach. Something inside me snapped. I pushed him as hard as I could and he stumbled backwards. I don't know if it was my maternal instincts kicking in but I did not want him touching me there. "Alright Jess! Fuck! Calm down! I need to piss, can I use the toilet?" He didn't wait for me to answer but I didn't care as long as he left afterwards. I sat down on an armchair and thought about how I would tell Harry about the baby. I sent him a text asking him to call me when he got a second.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?" Mickey's voice boomed, making me drop my phone. I looked up to find him waving the pregnancy test around.

"I don't see how that is any of your business, now get the fuck out!" I yelled back at him.

"Is it mine?" He asked, and I burst out laughing, I couldn't help it. This guy was a prize idiot.

"Mickey we haven't had sex since before Christmas. Of course it's not yours!" I laughed some more.

"Well, who then?" He threw the pregnancy test at me, hitting my shoulder. He looked furious.

"Again, none of your business and I'd like you to leave." I stood up and pointed to the door.