Thirty

Harry

For the first time since Jess got back from work she wasn't beside me. She'd never been this clingy before, I was kinda enjoying it but I knew it was just because she was feeling unsure of herself. It was hard to see her like that with her photography, she always seemed so at ease when she worked, as soon as she had a camera in her hand she had a confidence about her that was sorely lacking in the rest of her life. I walked towards the sound of giggling and paused in the Living Room doorway to watch the scene in front of me.Jess was sat on the floor with Lux and they were singing and dancing to Better Than Words, they looked adorable. I filmed them on my phone and sent the video to Lou.

"Harry! Frozen now?" Lux yelled, running towards me.

"Sure. You want snacks?" I asked, scooping up Lux.

"Rainbows!" Lux yelled her word for Skittles before adding a "pwease?"

"Sit down. I'll get them." Jessi said, rushing up and into the kitchen. She gave my arm a little squeeze as she passed. 

"Sit on floor, pwease?" Lux flashed a big toothy grin and gave me her puppy dog eyes. I nodded yes and laughed as she threw all the cushions onto the floor. I put the DVD in and made sure the TV was on the right channel.

"Jess? Are you okay?" I yelled, wondering what was taking her so long.

"Hmmm..." I heard her say behind me and I turned to find her with a giant bowl of Skittles in her hand and a roast potato between her teeth. I couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of her.

"Baby, I can make you something if you're still hungry?" I smiled.

"Nooo. Frozen time!" Lux pouted and instructed Jess that she was to sit on the floor beside me.

"I'm fine. I couldn't resist it, best roast potatoes ever." Jess smiled, cuddling into me. I started the film and Lux came running towards us, she tripped on a stray cushion and ended up kicking me right in the crotch, excruciating pain shot through my body, making me feel like I would puke.

"Jesus Lux!" I yelled without thinking.

"Sowy!" She cried.

"Lux, don't cry. He didn't mean it." Jess scooped her up and hugged her tight.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell." I kissed her forehead as she made herself comfortable in Jessi's lap.

"Youo-kay?" Lux asked as she rubbed her eyes with her fists.

"Yeah Lux, I'm okay." I smiled and hugged them both tight as we watched the film.

----- 

"I'll be back in a second." Jessi placed Lux in my lap and quickly disappeared. I hadn't been paying much attention to the film, Lux had made me watch this about fifty times so I mostly tuned it out.

"Jessi no like snowman song." Lux announced.

"What Lux?" I asked.

"Jessi always go'way for snowman." Lux says, before singing along. I thought about what Lux said and she was right, Jess disappeared during this song the last time we watched Frozen too. I watched the screen and realised it's when the parents die. Why hadn't I noticed that before?

"I'll be back in a bit." I said, sitting Lux down on a cushion. "Kay" She nodded, and I went to look for Jess.

"Baby, where are you?" I yelled when I reached the hall, she wasn't in the kitchen.

"Upstairs." Jessi's voice yelled back. I walked upstairs and into the bedroom. She'd got changed into one of my t-shirts and a pair of shorts I assume were Gemma's. "Did you get bored?" She smiled.